Dual SSD in Early 2011 15" MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by safelder, Jul 25, 2012.

1. safelder macrumors member

I'm currently running a 60 GB OWC SSD in my optibay as my system drive, with a 750 GB 7200 RPM in the main bay to store my data. I'm considering moving to a 240 GB or so OWC SSD in the main bay and moving the bulk of my data to an external (no reason to carry 250 GB of movies with me everywhere, right) in an effort to create a poor(er) man's version of the new rMBP.

This makes sense to me from a reliability and ruggedness standpoint, as it will eliminate the last moving parts from my system. I'm wondering if anybody here can speak to the battery life bump that I expect I'd get as well.

I guess the alternative would be to simply sell the 2011 and buy an rMBP, but that would likely cost several hundred dollars more net than just the new SSD. Besides, the 2011 does everything I need, and I'd kind of like to sit back and see where the retina line goes (13"? Into MBAs? A bump in storage on the base model to 512GB?) before taking that plunge.

Thanks in advance.

2. arashb macrumors 6502

Any drive in the optibay only runs at SATA II speeds on 2011 MBPs :[.

3. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Technically, you won't have eliminated all moving parts - the hinge that allows the screen to open and close will remain ;)

4. safelder thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I know. But I still get to a usable desktop in 15 seconds or so from hitting the power button (I currently boot off the SSD in the Optibay). Good enough is good enough...