Dual SSD in iMac late 2012. Format as one drive?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MadDane, Aug 10, 2015.

1. MadDane macrumors 6502a

My parents own a 27" late 2012 iMac which originally came with a Fusion Drive. However the hard drive failed recently and I have been left in charge of upgrading the 1TB hard drive with a 1TB SSD. I have everything required to perform the "open heart surgery". My parents are not very technical people and would prefer to see the drive as one, like they are used to, instead of two drives. So my question is whether it is possible to format the two drives as one and still enable TRIM on 10.10.4? The two drives are the 128GB SSD that the machine came with a 1TB Samsung EVO 850.

2. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

I would just pull the 128GB SSD out and put the 1TB SSD into the hard drive bay. There's just no point creating a fusion drive with 2 SSDs.

3. MadDane thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you for the reply. They might as well have a little bit of extra space so I have kept the Apple installed 128GB SSD in the machine. My question is more if TRIM will work with both SSD's formatted as one drive or if it is better to keep them formatted as two individual drives?

4. sarthak macrumors 6502

Pull out the Apple 128GB SSD and use it in an enclosure. They'll have a high speed portable drive which may be more useful than having it combined with the existing 1TB SSD.

You can always use RAID in Disk Utility (concatenated disk set) however, it may not provide any performance benefits.

5. MadDane thread starter macrumors 6502a

I did not know about the RAID option in Disk Utility. That was exactly what I was looking for. They are not interested in a separate drive, so I decided to try using RAID instead. I hope it works with TRIM though I don't see why it should not.