Dual SSD Optibay Setups?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jufros, Apr 28, 2010.

1. jufros macrumors member

What are you guys using them for? I'm thinking strongly about going this route and using one for streaming my multi-sample library and audio files into Logic Pro and as an interim quick-bounce-while-composing drive before I dump the project file to an external drive.

Anybody using the Intel X-25M G2 (160GB, currently using for apps, OS,m and a most-used samples) with an OCZ Vertex 120GB? That would be more than enough internal storage for me as I make use of my external HDD via ExpressCard->eSATA all the time.

2. John Kotches macrumors 6502

Once the 250GBs come down in price to the $300-400 range I'll pull my Optibay HDD and replace it with an SSD.

I run bootcamp and parallels off the second drive.

Regards,

3. jufros thread starter macrumors member

Yeah it really does sound like a good idea. Keep everything lightning fast in the box, be organized about what task you're working on, dump to a large eSATA external, wash, rinse, repeat. What's the verdict on these 256GB Samsung drives? I honestly don't need as fast of read times as I'm getting with my G2 but if I could double up on the 120GB Vertex's storage capacity and still be running 2.5-3 times faster than a 7200RPM for data streaming and sample loading, I'm so sold.

4. jufros thread starter macrumors member

I snagged one of the new Samsung 256GB drives on ebay for $337 USD shipped yesterday. Definitely thing it was a good buy and will work out for a sample library and scratch disk while the Intel runs Logic and OSX. There are two libraries that I use predominantly that each load in their respective Logic plugins. I think I'm going to put one of them on the Intel and one on the Samsung so I can distribute sample reading load when I have huge projects going on.