Dual SSD's -- Not in a RAID Configuration

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hammie, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

I posted this in the SSD Buying Guide, but I have seen much activity on my question...

I'm going to be getting a 512GB Crucial M4 SSD installed in my mid-2010 17" MBP.

Would it make sense to put my system files and Apps on a 128GB SSD drive and all other files on the 512GB SDD?

Also, would Time Machine back up both drives or would I need to use CCC for my backups?

Thanks!

2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Why use an SSD for storage? That's a waste of money. TimeMachine Will back up whatever drives you specify it to.

3. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Hes probably already got it. Personally I would go with the 512 for my main drive because I'd hate to run out of space and have to move everything around.

4. BB.King macrumors regular

I'd agree with using the 512GB as main disk. It is likely to be faster than the 128GB from Apple.

5. macmastersam macrumors 6502a

Use the 128GB for boot up and software, and the 512GB for storing the files..

And if you want raid, just get another 512GB SSD, to replace the 128GB one.

6. Hammie thread starter macrumors 65816

Hammie

Thanks for the reply, guys.

The small consensus is to just use the 512 SSD for everything and forget the 128GB drive for my boot disk and application folder. I guess it saves me about $130 or so.

My thought was to have the 512Gb dedicated to my personal files to get the most storage for me, yet still have an SSD for my boot drive and applications.

My boot and app folder is around 40GB, so the 128GB one was an acceptable size, IMO.

If I don't do dual SSDs and only use the 512GB SDD, should I even bother keeping my existing legacy 500Gb 5400rpm HDD in my laptop?

7. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't HDD make to much noise and can crash at anytime. Are you just looking for the biggest SSD or for the best one ? Cause the intel 520 240gb is the best money can buy and also comes with a 5 year warrenty follow by the samsung 830

8. Hammie thread starter macrumors 65816

Hammie

Thanks for all the replies. I chose to wait a couple more days before making my final decision.

To be honest, I am leaning towards the two (2) SSD drives where one will be the boot drive and the other will store all of my media and other documents.

I am giving myself until Tuesday morning (when my Mac Shop opens for business ;) ) to think about this decision. ~$700 is a huge upgrade expense and I don't want to have buyers remorse later... on either decision.

9. Freyqq macrumors 68040

512gb ssds are generally faster than 128gb because they have more flash chips to work with. 128gb ssds are still plenty fast, though, but something to consider. I'd get a 256gb ssd and a 1tb hd for files, personally.

10. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

I didnt realise you hadnt bought either. You will almost definitely have buyers remorse dropping that sort of money needlessly. Just buy a big enough SSD to support the OS and everything you'll need, then use a HDD for backup pueposes or mass storage if required.

11. Hammie thread starter macrumors 65816

Hammie

UPDATE:

I just dropped off my laptop to get the 512GB SSD installed in the stock location and the stock HDD moved to the optical drive location. I have a case for the optical drive being delivered this week from OWC.

Thanks to everyone for your input.

12. microsnook macrumors newbie

You could have SPAN(ned) the two internal SSDs to make it a single disk.

Or bought two 240GB SSDs and then used a RAID config. With back ups to external drives of course.

Soon I will have another SSD arriving at my doorstep where it will replace my HDD in my optibay. Then RAID0 for the two SSDs to give me the speed and storage. External drive for editing/backup and another for tertiary back ups!