Dual Thunderbolt Display 13inch macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by crimson16, Jan 4, 2012.

1. crimson16 macrumors newbie

Anybody have any experience running DUAL external thunderbolt displays off a 13inch macbook pro? According to apple it seems like it can be done but the discription is a little murky.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4885

The way I'm interpreting it means that you can daisy chain 2 thunderbolt displays of a 13inch macbook pro but the macbook pro must be in clamshell mode. If so that would be perfect for me since with that much screen real estate I wouldn't care about using the laptop display anyway. I'm more wondering about performance and lag of the monitors. I would ideally be using this setup for aperture and photoshop. I'm thinking about going to the apple store and just plug mine in to see what happens.

2. ml.sail1 macrumors regular

It is to my understanding that you CAN connect 2 daisy chained Thunderbolt displays to a 13 inch MBP, but you cannot use the built in display while you do so. Kind of goes along with what you heard, though I am not sure if you must use clamshell mode, I think it just disables the internal display.

3. tekkietekkie macrumors member

I definitely notice more difference in lag on just one TB monitor on the 13" vs my 15" with the ATI card so I suspect with 2 you can expect even more. Good idea to take it in and give it a try though that is probably the easiest thing to do. I plan to get a second TB monitor when I win the lottery :) lol