Dual TV tuner for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by yomibro, Feb 23, 2009.

1. yomibro macrumors regular

Are there any dual TV tuners for the Mac that will allow me to record two shows at once like on a PC? I did a search and the last post related to this subject was dated around 2006/2007, not sure if a new product has come out since then that anyone is aware off?

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

3. harry454 macrumors 6502

yes, eyetv, they are amazing highly recommended it!

4. yomibro thread starter macrumors regular

Reading the product page it seems that the Diveristy works with aerial antennas but there is no mention of using a standard coaxial cable TV connection.

If it's not mentioned am I to assume that it is not supported then?

5. whatisthe macrumors member

I'm not sure if the diversity works in the US as EyeTV does not list it on their US page, and it appears to be digital only.

For a digital tuner compatible with EyeTV software you can look at: http://www.silicondust.com/products/hdhomerun_atsc

If you wanted you could just purchase two EyeTV single tuners and the software will recognize you have two tuners connected, but this feature is officially unsupported.

6. Superman07 macrumors 6502a

7. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

I would recommend the HDHomeRun. It is a dual tuner (ATSC and Clear QAM) turner that works over ethernet. Just plug in your antenna source and plug into a network hub/switch. The computer can be located in a different location. I use it with Mythtv but it is supported by EyeTV software v3. It has a really sensitive tuner.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815327005&Tpk=HDHOMERUN

8. sapota macrumors member

9. whatisthe macrumors member

This EyeTV Hybrid unit does not have dual tuners... The Diversity does but it appears to only be listed in European markets.

10. Trip.Tucker Guest

EyeTV from Elgato (the cat) is what you are looking for. I have the older Elgator which records 2 channels from free to air, but there is another unit in the EyeTV lineup that records from cable tv. Keep in mind it does not have a CAM, so you must be receiving unencrypted content to be able to record/view.

11. yomibro thread starter macrumors regular

How is the build quality of the device? Reading from posts at Newegg the majority of the reviews are favorable but there are some posts stating that there seems to be some issues with the power supply dying out?

12. harry454 macrumors 6502

I don't see the need for dual tuner but each to his own, I assume your going to use one for Hd and one for cable

13. Porco macrumors 68030

Porco

Sorry, I didn't realise the Diversity might not be suitable in the US. I have a Diversity and a 250 Plus, and I have had no problem plugging them both in to one machine when I tried, and getting 3 digital channels going using both devices at once...

I am bit ignorant when it comes to how the US TV stuff works, so I don't know if that is any help.

*off to wikipedia to read up on US TV standards.... *

14. sparkie7 macrumors 68010

sparkie7

The diversity should work in the US. it has its own tuner on setup. and will scan for the appropriate channels.

One thing which is BS and bogus is the claim that it has deep reception with its two crappy little aerials in the box. Dont believe it. Unless you are on top of mountain this is pure BS. The only way to get decent reception is via a TV aerial on a roof.

Dual channel allows you to watch one channel while taping the other. as well as taping both channels simultaneously.