dual TV tuner trick for mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by svelte, Jan 16, 2008.

1. svelte macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am currently looking at getting one of the new imac's which i will be using as my complete home entertainment system. So instead of wasting money on a LCD TV, DVD player HD recorder, digital settop box etc. I thought we should upgrade our computer and have everything in one beautiful unit:cool:.

Now i have been looking at HDtuners for the Mac, and there seems to be a limited variety out there, with the elagato eyetv Tuner sticks being the most highly recomended. I want to be able to watch a show whilst recording another channel which leaves me only with the option of the elegato eyetv diversity dual tuner. My problem with this is that it only has one RF connections and a small little plug connection for a second mobile aerial. My first question is, can i get an adapter for this second connection so that i can plug in a standard coaxial cable, and if so will the quality of both pictures be 100%.

I was also wondering if I just bought 2 elegato eyetv single tuners and plugged both of those in would the software be able to recognise that i have 2 channels coming in? To me this is actually a cheaper option and i guess has the potential for higher quality.

If anyone uses the eyetv software, can you tell me if there is a way of recording a show at a certain time in the future without having to have a subscription to their tvguide service?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers
    S:)

2. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

I've used the elgato software (haven't tried out version 3 yet...because they just released it) and it is the best option. Hands down.

I haven't personally tried multiple tuners. Here is the FAQ You can also email them and I'm sure they would be happy to help.

3. svelte thread starter macrumors newbie

Good to hear everyone only has good things to say about them. I just found an adapter for the secondary connection so that is good. But is the quality reduced by using both channels at the same time?

4. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Don't know, I haven't used that particular model (only EyeTV USB and EyeTV Hybrid).