Dual USB Charger

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by skippymac, Jun 26, 2013.

1. skippymac macrumors 6502a

skippymac

Hi Guys, I did a bit of searching but couldn't find exactly what I wanted.

Basically I'm wondering if anyone offers a true dual USB charger with one 2 amp port and one 1(+) amp port?

All the one's I can find shout about having 2.1A but as far as I can tell, that's shared between 2 ports.

The only charger I could find is the GMYLE one, can anyone confirm if this truly offers one 2.1A and one 1A port?

The only problem with this charger is that it only comes with a UK adapter. I don't recognise the connector it uses but there is a US version available, which suggests I could get some other adapters so I can use it in Australia, and Vietnam and Cambodia (EU and US). Could anyone point me to the correct adapters to buy if this is the case?

2. skippymac thread starter macrumors 6502a

skippymac

I decided that it's probably more trouble that it's worth, so went about looking for a 2.1A usb charger with interchangeable plugs. To my dismay, they all either have 4 ports (and thus are huge) or only supply 1A!

I'm really surprised no one has made a quality product to fit this spec, I imagine a lot of people have a smartphone and a tablet with them when they travel!

3. RadDave macrumors regular

RadDave

Well, I have a dual 2.1Amp charger (USA AC plug) and use it to charge both my iPod (similar needs to an iPhone) & my iPad - the higher wattage output for the iPod will only give you a FASTER charge - safety features are built-in to protect these devices.

NOW, a recent purchase (shown below) is a battery back-up pack - small enough to carry on the road & offers outputs from .5 to 2.1Amps - need to use your iPad charger - if interested, see the review HERE - :)

[​IMG]

4. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

I almost always check Griffin first. And boom, solution.

http://store.griffintechnology.com/ipad/powerjolt-dual
    it's only a car charger, they ought to have similar for wall power, but not seeing it, keep looking

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I have two of these chargers for my cars. They work great.

6. skippymac thread starter macrumors 6502a

skippymac

Thanks, unfortunately, for some reason, these car chargers are readily available (I have 2 3.1A ones already) but for some unknown reason not wall chargers, and especially not ones with convenient travel attachments. ! :(

I found a 3.1A dual wall wart from maplin, so I think I'll just suck it up and buy that and a UK to universal travel adapter, at least I can use it when I get home to free up one of my much over-used sockets! :p

Just whilst we're on the subject of travelling, I don't suppose anyone knows if I can use my standard macbook charger on Cathay Pacific flights? On their site it says:

They have the EmPower sockets too, but it's not worth shelling out for an airline adapter for what will likely be my only long haul flight for the next 5 years! :p

7. oneMadRssn, Jun 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2013

oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I see your $30 2.1A charger, and raise you a $8 4.2A charger.
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...10826&cs_id=1082603&p_id=10239&seq=1&format=2

I've got this: http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10851&cs_id=1085102&p_id=8856&seq=1&format=2
    It's not as big as the pictures make it look, and works well.
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...10851&cs_id=1085102&p_id=10240&seq=1&format=2
    This one looks only a bit larger.

8. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

9. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

10. skippymac thread starter macrumors 6502a

skippymac

Thanks for the links, unfortunately $32 shipping to the UK, boo! :(

11. jcpb macrumors 6502a

I've got several, however if you want tl;dr - this one:
    http://www.amazon.com/Antec-Quad-Charging-Station-UA4-25/dp/B009KY5JA8/ref=pd_sim_cps_8

5A max output over 4 ports: 2x 2A, 2x 1A. Uses the same two-prong AC adapter cables as Mac laptops and AirPort routers.

There's also one USB charger (don't recall the link, sorry) out there that does 2A per port, with 4 ports total - as in, 8.4A total output. Srsly.

As far as compact chargers go, Innergie 2-port charger (2A per port, but only 3A total output) is what I use, although these days I tend to use external power packs out of convenience.

12. skippymac thread starter macrumors 6502a

skippymac

You, sir are a genius!

Is this the innergie one you use? Does it have interchangeable plugs perchance?

13. jcpb macrumors 6502a

Yes. I skipped the cables though. Innergie's pricing on those cables is steep.

These days I have a Lenmar 30-pin to micro-USB adapter attached via a hook to the strap on my phone case, so all I need for charging and syncing is any ordinary micro-USB cable.