Dual USB enclosures...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Borjan, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Borjan macrumors regular

My last thread was perhaps too wordy.

I shall try again!

Storage solutions with the Macbook are perhaps a bit limited. I would go with NAS, but my router is only 100mbs (so I would I think of that as 'slow'?), so instead I think I will go with USB 2.0 (though I will lose the benefits of having my media available to be even wirelessly.. again though its is only wireless G)

Now I would like to have two drives connected at once. One would be my Time Machine backup, the other for media storage. But they would be in a dual enclosure, as I need the other port free for a USB hub (which will have several devices attached).

Thoughts? How will the performance of the drives be? No so important for the TM, but for my media disk. Would I see increased performance by letting my media drive hog a single USB port, and add my TM drive to the USB hub?

2. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

to be honest i think you'd be better of with a powered usb hub...that's just me though...

3. Borjan thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. :)

Does anyone else think I would be better off attaching my external HD's to a powered USB hub?

4. sangosimo Guest

sangosimo

I would go with a nas/fileserver solution. Upgrade your router to a gigabit n router. This will make it easier to access your files on multiple computer and you don't have to be tethered.