Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Borjan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 28, 2004
My last thread was perhaps too wordy.

I shall try again!

Storage solutions with the Macbook are perhaps a bit limited. I would go with NAS, but my router is only 100mbs (so I would I think of that as 'slow'?), so instead I think I will go with USB 2.0 (though I will lose the benefits of having my media available to be even wirelessly.. again though its is only wireless G)

Now I would like to have two drives connected at once. One would be my Time Machine backup, the other for media storage. But they would be in a dual enclosure, as I need the other port free for a USB hub (which will have several devices attached).

Thoughts? How will the performance of the drives be? No so important for the TM, but for my media disk. Would I see increased performance by letting my media drive hog a single USB port, and add my TM drive to the USB hub?

Borjan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 28, 2004
Thanks. :)

Does anyone else think I would be better off attaching my external HD's to a powered USB hub?

sangosimo

Sep 11, 2008
I would go with a nas/fileserver solution. Upgrade your router to a gigabit n router. This will make it easier to access your files on multiple computer and you don't have to be tethered.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.