Dual USB wall chargers - question

ssledoux

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I want a dual USB wall charger that will put out enough juice to charge my watch and airpods at the normal rate.

I’d prefer one that’s a smaller size, because I have 2 outlets available, and one has my iPP USB-C box plugged in, so I don’t have room for a big charger in the other slot.

Just trying to get a setup at my desk that will accommodate everything at once if need be.

I just don’t know much about the wattage/amps/voltage, whatever it is, that typically powers a single, small Apple charger, and I need to be sure I get a dual that has at least double that.

Is it not good for my devices to put them on a dual charger like that? I don’t want to do anything that’ll damage my battery life.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I want a dual USB wall charger that will put out enough juice to charge my watch and airpods at the normal rate.

I’d prefer one that’s a smaller size, because I have 2 outlets available, and one has my iPP USB-C box plugged in, so I don’t have room for a big charger in the other slot.

Just trying to get a setup at my desk that will accommodate everything at once if need be.

I just don’t know much about the wattage/amps/voltage, whatever it is, that typically powers a single, small Apple charger, and I need to be sure I get a dual that has at least double that.

Is it not good for my devices to put them on a dual charger like that? I don’t want to do anything that’ll damage my battery life.
The watch and AirPods use very little power. You might look at one from Anker with 4 ports, one of them being USB C then you will have enough ports in one adapter. If you still want dual, get Anker two port. Can’t go wrong.

I charge my iPP 12.9 with a 4 port using a USB A to USB C cable along with XS Max and watch all on the same adapter and all at once.

Reactions: ssledoux

TheIntruder

macrumors 65816
Jul 2, 2008
There's little reason to spend extra for the Anker wall adapter with the integrated battery if the OP only needs a stationary wall adapter and doesn't intend to travel with it.

Using it in that manner, which will keep the battery cell fully charged, is also detrimental to its long term health. Ideally, lithium batteries should be kept partially charged, not fully charged or fully depleted.

The Watch and AirPods have small batteries, and commensurately small power needs, so basically any dual-port adapter will suffice. Just choose one according to brand and size preferences.

Technically speaking, most of them are rated at 10W or higher (5W, or 1A per port, x2). Such an adapter will also be sufficient to charge an iPhone, albeit not in fast, or even faster (PD) mode, but your existing iPP PD adapter could, with appropriate cable.

Unfortunately, there are no guidelines on how these things are advertised, so there is a jumble of watts and amps that require careful reading if one expects to charge every device at full speed simultaneously. A lot of them don't.

But, in this case, since the two devices draw little power, it only becomes a concern if you desire more "headroom" and flexibility in the charger you select.

ssledoux

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Well, I’m not sure what I was thinking, but I need to be able to charge my phone, watch and AirPods, plus have the other outlet for my iPP.

I guess I may wind up just having to get a strip with multiple outlets, since I doubt I can get anything with 3 USB slots that won’t compromise charging time.

1rottenapple

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2004
There’s tons of options on amazon, an ac plug with multiple USB ports. All would work for what your are looking for.

Reactions: ssledoux

ssledoux

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
There’s tons of options on amazon, an ac plug with multiple USB ports. All would work for what your are looking for.
Well cool! I’ll get one with 3 slots then - just didn’t know if it would be good enough to charge my phone normally.

scmill

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2018
Spartanburg SC
There's little reason to spend extra for the Anker wall adapter with the integrated battery if the OP only needs a stationary wall adapter and doesn't intend to travel with it.
That is true. It's just an option for the OP to consider depending on her needs.