Dualbooting macbook, need some help

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mikky05v, Jun 20, 2010.

1. mikky05v macrumors member

I'm looking to dual boot my macbook (currently running 10.5.8) with xp. I have never done this before and I'm curious about the risks involved and looking for advise.
    Some basic questions I need answered:
    The program is bootcamp correct?
    Is this program on my install discs or do i have to download it?
    About how long does it take to set this all up?
    How safe is it?
    Is there a disk with the drivers needed already in the discs that came with my macbook or do i need to burn one?

any other information or advise from people would be appreciated..
    also a link to a guide would be amazing..

2. johnnyham macrumors regular

1. Yes
    2. It's already installed on your system. Go to /Applications/Utilities/ and look for "Boot Camp Assistant".
    3. For me (running an old white Macbook), it took less than an hour. It probably shouldn't take much longer than this for you either.
    4. It's as safe as any other Windows installation. Just because Windows is running on your Mac doesn't make it invincible. You'll still need antivirus software and a firewall if you plan on using it a lot on the Internet. Even if you do get a virus by accident, your OS X partition is completely separate and won't be harmed.
    5. It'll do all of it for you. Once you boot into Windows the first time, it'll start installing the Boot Camp drivers necessary for the keyboard, trackpad, iSight, etc.
    The instructions in the program are very easy to follow, but if you'd like to read through it first, you can do so here. It's for OS X 10.6, but it should be the same for 10.5.8. I think Boot Camp will update via Software Update anyways, or you can update it within the program itself.

3. mikky05v thread starter macrumors member

I'm still working on this and I'm trying to create a bootable xp disc from an iso image xp copy.. anyone know how to create this into a boot disc or if i even need to. can I just burn the iso image.

4. johnnyham macrumors regular

Yeah, all XP install discs are bootable, so long as you didn't accidentally grab an expansion pack disc. Simply burning it will work fine.