Dualcore/single core G5 Powermac or Intel Mac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by yoshiii, Dec 11, 2008.

1. yoshiii macrumors member

Hello

The software I want to buy, a professional 2D animation software that is used in Japanese and American studios(Retas Pro) doesn't have support for the Intel Macs. On their website the requirements for the software is a G5 or G4 mac. Should I get the 1.8 GHZ G5 Powermac or the 2GHZ Dual Core G5 Powermac?
    Or should I use bootcamp and buy the Windows version of the software and buy a new Intel Mac?

Help please.:confused:

2. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

The new intel Mac Pro will be quite a bit faster. You may be able to get performance similar to the G5 in a new MacBook Pro but if you are going to spend that kind of money I would opt for the Mac Pro for more disk space possibilities and it is a heck of a lot faster.

3. DarthTreydor macrumors 6502

i'm not an expert on animation software but surely there must be something comparable that runs on intel macs. don't waste your money on ppc. it will be obsolete waaaay sooner (some might even say it already is).

4. mperkins37 macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

Never buy old technology.
    Intel MacPro will Perform for the tasks of the future & last 3-5 years IMO.
    That is why I bought mine. It plows through anything I can throw at it.
    There are also programs for 2-d / anime for Leopard & Intel like Magna Studio.
    Move forward, into the light of intel octo goodness.

5. Tastannin macrumors 6502

Tastannin

Yep. Don't bother with the G5. I had a 1.6 single core G5 and when the Intel Macs came out, I upgraded to a dual core 1.6 Mac Mini which blew away the G5. Even if you go with an Intel iMac, you'll still be way ahead of the G5 PowerMacs.

6. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Does the company who makes the software you want to use plan on updating to intel? Can you buy the windows version and then pay a fee to update to OSX if it does?

I generally agree about not buying older technology, but does your business or hobby depend on having this software to get the job done? If they're not planning on upgrading to intel (which strikes me as insane), if none of your other must have applications are OSX, and if cost is a consideration, you may be better off buying a cheap windows box and keeping it off of the internet.

I'm an apple fan and OSX enthusiast, but the whole concept behind using computers is getting the job done. If your software doesn't support using dual or multiple cores, a mac pro running a windows version of your software would be both overkill and a waste of money.

If the makers of your software have a users forum or support site, that would be the place for you to start. Do some more homework first. Good luck!

7. yoshiii thread starter macrumors member

Hello

I am still planning on buying a Intel Mac, I just wanted to know if it would be worth it buying the old PowerMac.
    Retas Pro is a profession 2D animation software that blows away the stuff from Manga Studio. It is used by most Japanese animation companies and companies in America and the world.

Reason why I want to stick with a Mac is because all of my software is on Mac and I'd rather not have any major software that I will be using on PC. I want to make sure that there is not any trouble sharing files between programs when production time comes.
    The Rep from the company said that right now that they don't have any plans to update the software for the Intel Macs now.

Does anyone think that it may still work on a Intel Mac? Since G5's are cheap now I figured maybe go and get one to use just for this software.

Help

8. StuBeck macrumors 6502

If you want to get the G5, know that it might not be compatabile with 10.6, and definitely get the fastest which is still economically viable.