OS X Dualshock 4 controller is out, will it work in OS X?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by saturnotaku, Oct 30, 2013.

1. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Retailers are now stocking the Dualshock 4 controller. It apparently works on the PC without the need for a special Bluetooth dongle or drivers, though some games likely would require remapping the buttons. Is OS X just as fortunate? I have a DS3 that I use on OS X, a Logitech F310 for old-school Windows games that don't support XInput and a 360 controller for modern titles. I'd love to ditch them all in favor of a single controller that I can use across the board. The DS4 sounds like it might be the ticket, but I'd like to get some feedback from Feral, Aspyr and the community to see if this is the way to go.

2. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Funnily enough, just googled Dualshock 4 and the first link up:

DS4 works on Macs.

Yaaay!

3. saturnotaku thread starter macrumors 68000

Ha! Maybe I'll start a website, "Let me Google that for myself." I only heard about the "basic" PC compatibility because I was watching a tangentially related video on YT.

That's a good bit of news, though I'd still like developers that frequent this forum to weigh in if they can.

4. Aspyr-Blair macrumors 6502

We get ours next week I think, so we will absolutely be exploring compatibility on our PS3 supported titles.

5. mbarriault, Oct 30, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2013

mbarriault macrumors regular

I picked one up yesterday, pairing works perfectly but no games seem to want to work with it, even games that people have explicitly reported to work (like Borderlands 2). Theoretically it should work better than on Windows, as generic USB controllers on Windows use the default DirectInput API while most games use the Xinput API Microsoft needlessly introduced alongside the 360 controller.

Using an app like Joystick Show however shows the controller but no options unless it's connected via USB.

Edit: Spoke a little too soon, Super Meat Boy works great with it.

6. saturnotaku thread starter macrumors 68000

Does the controller function in games when connected via USB?

7. Starfox macrumors regular

Hi guys,

I have experience getting a DS4 working with OS X and communicating with it on a low level, so I thought I might clear some things app. Apps that support DS3 usually do that by listening for a connection with a specific Device ID - a device ID is a code that identifies the device. When an app listens for a connection with DS3 ID it won't be notified of DS4 connections. You'll need to patch the app to get DS4 specific support. Some code written against generic gamepads might work, but I haven't investigated that yet.

8. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Doesn't surprise me since the DS3 works w/out any extra program :D

9. edddeduck macrumors 68020

edddeduck

The Sony DualShock 4 now works in pretty much every modern Feral game. Just email padsupport [at] feralinteractive.com to get an updated plugin for this pad.

This was possible due to a few early adopters who sent me the HID information that was required to get the pad working.

Edwin