dubious logic board or fan

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by stephenkapple, Jul 28, 2008.

1. stephenkapple macrumors newbie

I have a macbook 13.3 " which suffered from water spillage. I have therefore today fitted a new logic board 2.16GHz. My dilemna is that the keyboard does not function (no keys/trackpad) and power button is intermittent - only way to reliably start up is to connect top case connector under power. I will purchase a new top case BUT i also have 2 other faults which i am keen to know if they relate to a faulty logic board.

* The fans constantly run on full & smc fan controller gives a reading of 1 degrees and 0 rpm.
    * The sleep light is on permanently.

I have reinstalled OS X & all updates but problems persist.
    All kind assistance gratefully appreciated.
    THANKS

2. logana macrumors 65816

logana

The keyboard has probably been liquid damaged too - but I guess you have probably worked that out !

The other problems sound like a bad logic board - where did the logicboard come from ?

Is the fan the original one ?

Wa it a Core 2 Duo machine before the liquid damage ?

Is it working ok from a battery ?

The sleep light is only normally on until the screen comes on - the fact that it is on constantly again points to a logicboard problem.....

3. stephenkapple thread starter macrumors newbie

update

Latest update - i have courtesy of my wifes macbook fitted a known good top case & would you believe it the keys work & power switch is fully functional. Bets of all the fans do not run on full & smc fan control detects fan speed & cpu temp. ONE/TWO problems remain however
    * The sleep light stays on continuously.
    * The computer does not want to install 2 updates - os x 10.5.4 & EFI firmware - you click restart & it gets as far as the install wizard and sems ot stop at about one fifth way.

Logi cboard was from an ebay seller - original board was core duo 2Ghz and new 2.16Ghz core duo 2 with new heatsikn & battery connector supplied
    ANY IDEAS

4. logana macrumors 65816

logana

If your original keyboard has the orange ribbon connector and your wife's has a silver then that is probably the reason - core duo 2 keyboards work on Core duo machines but not the other way round - but I think your original keyboard is bad though - replace with a Core Duo 2 one (silver cable).

Not sure about the updates - are you using the combo 10.5.4 update - if not then download direct from Apple and then run.

5. stephenkapple thread starter macrumors newbie

many thanks

for all your excellent advice. i would have never known about the different top cases. I am as we speak reinstalling os x & apple updates with new top case fitted. If sleep light still remains on i will replace hard drive cable and sleep light connector - which i suspect would have been flooded.

THANK YOU

6. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Try the hard drive cable but the chances are if the water got into the area of the sleep light you will be stuck with it on the whole time - there is a small circuit around the sleep led but I don't think it is feasible to change it - it is between the metal and plastic parts of the bottom case...

Best idea would be to change the bottom case if it really annoys you - the bottom case is not that expensive (maybe $30 or so) and a few hours to swap everything over...if you have swapped over a logic board then it will be quicker next time.

7. vniow macrumors G4

Could it be the replacement board has already had the firmware applied?

8. stephenkapple thread starter macrumors newbie

formware now installed

After a fresh install of OS X & software update via apples website the emi firmware is now OK - I think the original problem was a break in power mid point through download which corrupted the file. only one problem remains & that is the sleep light - i have seen replacements advertised on ebay - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=230271642624&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=013
    IS THIS PART THE RIGHT ONE????

9. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Yes that is the part - led on the left and the IR sensor on the right. I have never tried to get that part out but maybe e-mail the seller and ask him if there is a trick to getting the led out and back in again.

I would love to know the answer too - so if you manage it do tell how it is done. If not them a bottom case replacement is not much more