DuckDuckGo and Safari history

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Nermal, Mar 3, 2018.

1. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Hi,

I've recently switched from Google to DuckDuckGo and am running Safari 11.0.3 on OS 10.12.6.

With this combination, Safari's History menu doesn't work correctly. For example, if I do a DDG search for "mac", one of the first results is Apple's site. I can then click that link to go to Apple's site. This adds an entry for "Mac - Apple" to the History menu, but selecting it takes me to the DDG search results page, not Apple's site!

Is anyone else experiencing this and can anyone advise how to fix it?

2. tarsins macrumors 6502a

tarsins

Same on OS 10.13.3. That's annoying and may explain some weirdness I've been experiencing with history. I think I'll revert to Google.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I'm on Safari 11.0.3 on High Sierra and I do see what you described when I search "mac"... but it does happen with Ford or Panasonic for example. Those last two both save the history properly. It seem to be just the mac search. I wonder if it is something about Apple's web age doing this.

What do you get with Ford and Panasonic?

Screen Shot 2018-03-04 at 6.36.34 AM.png

4. Partron22 macrumors 68020

Partron22

Don't see the trouble using Firefox and Sierra.

5. NoBoMac macrumors 68020

On 11.0.3, and not seeing this. Pretty clear in my History if it's the site vs. DDG results. I'm seeing the DDG icon next to their results, Apple logo next to their site, and so on.

Some privacy/scrubbing extension in place? Private browsing mode? I don't use Private browsing, and the extensions I have are for ad blocking.

6. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I get the same behaviour with Panasonic. Ford, on the other hand, is interesting. I searched for "ford" and clicked the link through to Wikipedia. I now have three entries in History, two having the same text:
    • "ford at DuckDuckGo" links to the search results.
    • "Ford Motor Company - Wikipedia" has a DDG icon and goes to the same search results. The History entry changes to "ford at DuckDuckGo" when I select it (?!).
    • "Ford Motor Company - Wikipedia" has a Wikipedia icon and goes to Wikipedia.
    The Apple and Panasonic entries have DDG icons, but the text in the menu is the <title> of the actual page, not "apple [or panaconic] at DuckDuckGo". Something's confusing the system and it's blending two different things together in the History menu.

I've noticed that disabling JavaScript fixes the problem. Opening the results in new tabs also works around the issue.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

8. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Thanks; I'll take a look when I can (sudden influx of busyness getting in the way!)

9. Paul Hobart macrumors newbie

I'm late to this conversation, but I've found a workaround. On the DuckDuckGo homepage go to the Menu > Other Settings. In there you'll find an option to Open Links in a New Tab. By checking that visited pages will show up properly in history. It's annoying, but it works.

10. mikzn macrumors 65816

mikzn

Strange - it must be a Safari issue?

I tried on Mojave 10.15.5 and it does exactly as you describe with Safari

But not on Firefox - everything seems fine on Firefox - it might be because of using the separate "search window" ( main reason I still use firefox for my main search engine)

11. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Thanks for the replies, however since posting this thread I've given up on DDG (it's just not as good as Google) so it's no longer an issue for me. It's good that there's a workaround though :)