Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

DuckDuckGo Browser users can now securely sync their favorites, bookmarks, and passwords across multiple devices, without having to set up an account or sign in to use it.

duckduckgo-sync.jpg

The privacy-first browser enables this through its new "Sync & Backup" feature, which generates a QR code on mobile devices or an alphanumeric code on a computer to establish syncing.

As per DuckDuckGo's privacy, DuckDuckGo doesn't track users, and cannot access users' synced data, including passwords in the browser's built-in password manager, which encrypts passwords locally. When private sync is used, all data stays securely encrypted throughout the syncing process, since the unique key needed to decrypt it is stored only on the devices.

Backup & Sync also enables users to migrate bookmarks and passwords to a new device, and sync their Email Protection account between devices. (DuckDuckGo Email Protection is a free email forwarding service that removes hidden email trackers and lets users create unique private email addresses on the fly.)

According to DuckDuckGo, the new feature works across most Windows, Mac, Android, and iPhone devices, and can be found in the browser's Settings (Sync & Backup ➝ Sync With Another Device). Those only working with one device can choose Sync and Back Up This Device from the Single-Device Setup section.

duckduckgo.jpg

After setup, the browser generates a Recovery PDF document that contains the user's unique, locally generated Recovery Code, which can be used to gain access to synced data if the associated devices are lost or damaged.

DuckDuckGo's browser offers more than a dozen privacy protections, including ad tracker blocking and cookie pop-up removal. It is available for iOS devices on the App Store and for Mac on the Mac App Store and DuckDuckGo website.

Article Link: DuckDuckGo Browser Gets Encrypted Bookmark and Password Syncing

Reactions: Michaelgtrusa

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
DDG is a good browser but needs support for extensions. Even if only uBlock Origins. I can’t imagine browsing seeing ads and dealing with trackers, cookies/newsletter BS.

That's the entire purpose of the browser — to help block that without needing an extension. Are you saying it's not effective?

DuckDuckGo's browser offers more than a dozen privacy protections, including ad tracker blocking and cookie pop-up removal

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
That's the entire purpose of the browser — to help block that without needing an extension. Are you saying it's not effective?

DuckDuckGo's browser offers more than a dozen privacy protections, including ad tracker blocking and cookie pop-up removal
Believing AD copy vs. using another product to verify.

Reactions: AlinomyTomy

sc00ba

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2024
It’s a shame DDG ruined their reputation which effectively branded themselves as google 2.0. Used their engine for nearly 10 years before they went and did that, but as we all know they should’ve sent out cases of beer before they thought of expressing their political opinion.

Well done Gabriel.

Sorinut

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2015

The blocking is pretty effective, from my experience. I use plugins for other things, though, youtube being a big one. I like to block all the comments, related video suggestions and shorts.

Social fixer for facebook, too.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Shah!n

dizmonk

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2010
I have it as a secondary browser. It is very good. My main wish is that it would include a reader mode and allow the user to force custom fonts (e.g., Firefox). If it had those two features I'd probably switch from Firefox.

dead.cell

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2014
Amerika
I have it as a secondary browser. It is very good. My main wish is that it would include a reader mode and allow the user to force custom fonts (e.g., Firefox). If it had those two features I'd probably switch from Firefox.
Reader mode is a must for me, especially with how convoluted these websites have become with ads that are intrusive and potentially dangerous. It's why I still like using Edge if I'm not on Safari.

peneaux

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2020

Not even close. You can go to https://adblock-tester.com/ to see the score.

uBlock Origins blocks 100%. Not available for Safari unfortunately.
AdGuard for Mac (not the Safari extension since Apple put limitations) blocks 100%.
DDG Browser blocks only 64%.

Another problem is not being able to choose your search engine. Having only 4 options in Safari, none in DDG Browser sucks.

Last edited:
Reactions: dead.cell and mhnd

peneaux

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2020
It’s a shame DDG ruined their reputation which effectively branded themselves as google 2.0. Used their engine for nearly 10 years before they went and did that, but as we all know they should’ve sent out cases of beer before they thought of expressing their political opinion.

Well done Gabriel.

Big problem in California, where all big tech companies are, is that they live in an echo chamber and think they're virtuous by expressing their opinions. They think people care.

I use Signal app and follow their blog and forum. Some guy posted a video of Tucker Carlson saying the government showed a transcript of his chat years ago when he was trying to interview Putin. The question was if Signal was hacked. 90% of the replies were about people complaining about Tucker Carlson. They had to close the thread since there was too many people triggered.

jimimac71

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2019
California
I'm an Android and iPad guy, with my Windows machine getting the least amount of use.
I use Chrome on my iPad and Android, but Firefox on Windows.
DDG is still in Beta for Windows. My old iMac (2007) doesn't get any use and I need to get it to recycle.
I'm just beginning to examine the Brave browser. It too uses a QR code or word code to sync devices to each other. No account like Firefox and Chrome. So no password.
Brave is Chromium based and has access to the Chrome Store.
I've used DDG as a search engine for a long time.
The DDG browser has some catching up to do.
I have a feeling the DDG browser will not make it to Linux.
My goal is to be a Linux guy by the time my Windows 10 machine goes EOL.
It cannot update to Windows 11 without something like Rufus and I don't want that.
The Mac is out of my price range with an MBA starting at $999.

ateslik

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2008

Well done Gabriel.
link? I have no idea what is being referred to here. I missed something.

mightysashiman

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2020

well, no. Comparing DDG browser to Orion with firefox plugins ublock origin and sponsorblock makes it pretty obvious. DDG browser is good but far from 100% effective.

MacFarmer

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2022
Oh I wish they could be a top layer for google search, something like a Startpage.com, or even better, combine google and bing results. But it is a nice company, I hope they will continue.

peneaux

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2020

Basically he buried news websites that don’t push western propaganda. I remember trying to get news to know what was going on and it was all the same garbage:
- ghost of Kyiv
- old lady with sunflower seeds
- Ukraine victory is around the corner
- Putin is dying/crazy
- Putin died and there’s an actor playing him
- We need to send more money to Ukraine.

List goes on.

Reactions: dead.cell
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.