Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Popular privacy-first web browser DuckDuckGo is developing a dedicated desktop browser that will be available on the Mac, the company announced today in a year-end wrap-up article.

duckduckgobrowser.jpg

DuckDuckGo already offers a browser option that's available on mobile devices, and when it launches, the desktop browser will offer a similar experience.

The DuckDuckGo desktop browser will have "robust privacy protection" that works by default, without requiring users to adjust privacy settings or deal with different levels of privacy protection.

The app will "redefine user expectations of everyday online privacy, according to DuckDuckGo," and it will work across search, browsing, email, and more. The app is described as cleaner, more private, and faster than Chrome.

DuckDuckGo for desktop is being built around OS-provided rendering engines, which is similar to how the DuckDuckGo mobile apps work, and it will not use a Chromium fork like other browser offerings.

The desktop browser is in closed beta testing for the Mac right now, with a PC version also planned in the future. There's no word on a release date just yet, but DuckDuckGo is currently soliciting beta testers.

Article Link: DuckDuckGo Working on Privacy-Focused Desktop Browser for Mac

Reactions: Xiaojohn

jdsingle

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2011
Interested to see what additional benefits the browser will provide to make adoption worthwhile. Took me a bit to get use to having this as my default search engine, but I still use Chrome (plus a bunch of extensions for privacy) as my default browser.

LivingMyBeachLife

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2021
In the meantime, I'm loving their "email protection" feature. Got my @duck.com email address that forwards to my real email address. Good to see that they are removing the email trackers. I look forward to this browser. For compatibility, I hope that it's Chromium based.

Reactions: The Barron

repoman016

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2017
Ohio
Interested to see what additional benefits the browser will provide to make adoption worthwhile. Took me a bit to get use to having this as my default search engine, but I still use Chrome (plus a bunch of extensions for privacy) as my default browser.
Not to hijack the duckduckgo thread, but any recommendations on chrome extensions for privacy?

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
In the meantime, I'm loving their "email protection" feature. Got my @duck.com email address that forwards to my real email address. Good to see that they are removing the email trackers. I look forward to this browser. For compatibility, I hope that it's Chromium based.
"DuckDuckGo for desktop is being built around OS-provided rendering engines, which is similar to how the DuckDuckGo mobile apps work, and it will not use a Chromium fork like other browser offerings."

According to the article.
So, not Chromium based.

BrownyQ

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2021
USA
I switched to DDG as my search engine on all my devices about a year ago, and it hasn't let me down yet. While part of me wants to try their browser, I'm actually rather fond of Safari. I would like to look into this duck.com e-mail feature, because it sounds wonderfully simple and useful.

JippaLippa

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2013
I have been using DDG as a search engine for about 3 years now, very happy with my decision.
I find the desktop browser idea intriguing, however I love the safari integration with the iPhone.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
I hope they get a handle on battery life and extensions support, otherwise it’s a no-go for me.

kingtj1971

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2021
Alton, IL
Knowing nothing about it, why is Brave a scam?

Seconding this question? I actually started using Brave browser since two of my good friends who are employed in computer security recommend it and use it as their default. I understand it has that whole "rewards" system built into it that you can (optionally) use:

That doesn't seem like it makes it a scam at all, though? Just attempts to reward advertisers who respect certain privacy rules vs the ones who don't.

djgamble

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006
Great one! I remember hitting a point with Google (and various web browsers) where I realised they could essentially read my mind and gave me what I wanted (rather than a natural search).

IMO unless people REALLY want their private searches being tracked/bubbled, search engines should all use 'natural' searches (like DDG).

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Wow
Reactions: SFjohn

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
I use a multiple browser setup (general surfing, confidential activities, trusted sites) so DDG will be a welcome addition to my browser portfolio. If it has good compatibility and stability, I'll probably reserve my installations of Chrome and Edge for troubleshooting and no-other-browser-will-work usage.

andrewxgx

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2018
any idea how they gonna monetize? first the email service, now browser, this stuff requires money to develop. some paid service?

Reactions: GlassFingers
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.