Duct Taping Hard Drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gaijinpunch, Nov 8, 2010.

1. gaijinpunch macrumors newbie

... okay, not duct taping. I'm from Texas originally and that's my initial reaction. I have an HD in an Optibay that keeps slipping out. I have some electrical tape and the only warning on it is "use at under 600v". Well, that's not really useful.

Does anyone have any experience w/ this? I will Google around and calculate but I figured it's probably not a bad idea to just ask outright.

Cheers.

2. MartyF81 macrumors 6502

Do you have a knock-off opti bay? My Optibay has screws securing the drive in the bay....

I wouldn't put duct tape on it.... those drives get warm and it will make the tape gooey... it could ooze to place you do not want it.

3. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

Go to RadioShack and see if they have those tiny screws, and attach the drive.

4. sbddude macrumors 6502a

I would not reccomend duct tape or electrical tape. Both will get gooey and nasty over time.

What I did is wedge the drive in with the sata cable (see pic).

If that is not enough, you could use some rubber or foam strips. The idea is that the adhesive will melt and get nasty over time so you'd be best to avoid it.

5. gaijinpunch thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, so I'm an idiot. Didn't notice those screw holes on the bottom of the chassis. (Yes, it's an original Optibay). Such a pain to get it screwed back in, but it's done now. Thankfully I saved the screws and should've questioned why so many were left over. Also realized I didn't need that fancy screwdriver kit I bought last night. But, oh well.

Thanks for the heads up.

6. MartyF81 macrumors 6502

Excellent, glad it worked out for you. I watched the install video just to be sure I knew what I was doing when I did this.

7. temiller macrumors member

Glad you got it fixed.

For future reference though, do not use duct tape for anything electrical. Although duct tape isn't very conductive, it will get gooey, and when it does get gooey, it can short out.. And its a pain to clean out of wires when you finally replace it with electrical tape/solder/etc.

8. aleni macrumors 68020

don't duct tape it! i didn't realize that there's a screw hole on the sides of the optibay, so i duct tape it and my 320GB HD failed on the next day. my whole iTunes library was long gone. i really hate myself for being stupid. lucky i have backups on the other external disk.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Using any sort of adhesive will be a mistake as internal temperatures will likely cause it to fail, making a mess inside and not holding your drive in place.

10. Herb Dorklift macrumors newbie

Don't worry about buying the toolset. Every man should own lotsa tools ;)