DUDE A Macintosh Quadra 700!

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by ClassicMac247, Oct 24, 2007.

1. ClassicMac247 macrumors 6502

ClassicMac247

A few weeks ago I got my hands on a working Macintosh Quadra 700, and 16 inch macintosh display, I had to walk half a mile from the garage sale with that 50 pound monitor. No joke fifty pounds, and im a small guy. Great addition to my collection for only 5 bucks! I almost had a heart attack when I saw it was fifty pounds and originally sold for $5700 USD!!!:eek: Happy hunting to all the other collectors!:apple::apple::apple:

UPDATE: I have sold the monitor, I kept the identifacation tag on the back though, it was so weird, a 16 inch display! I'm kicking myself now that I realize not too many 16 inch displays exist!

Attached Files:

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Pictures would be very welcome. And congrats on the purchase.

3. MacBoy108 macrumors 6502

MacBoy108

Lucky!!! Great find for Five Bucks! I remember when I found my Apple IIe that was literally Brand new not a particle of dust in it or on it for free!

4. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Awesome!

They are worth money. They are the rarest of the IIcx type machines, but with a nicely designed case.

I got mine in the early days of eBay before Apple collecting got popular for $40 with shipping.

I remember with the company I used to work for - first getting them in and using them as upgrades to our QuickMail servers - they were such a fast improvement over the 030's...

Get it fully working with a fresh OS and post pics!

5. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Since when are the Quadra 700's rare?

They were a current shipping machine for longer than any other 'small' Quadra. Only the Quadra 900 was "current" for longer. They were also incredibly popular at the time because they cost barely more than a IIci, for significantly more power.

I've got three Quadra 700s, for crimeny's sake, and none were hard to get.

6. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

You tried searching for one lately?

7. ClassicMac247 thread starter macrumors 6502

ClassicMac247

Im not sure how rare they are but it's the first one I have seen, If I didnt have my eye out for old apple products I would have easily overlooked it. I love town wide garage sale day!:apple: I also found an Apple quadra 900 and some type of newton but I gave it to my uncle who is a collector of newtons.:D

8. ClassicMac247 thread starter macrumors 6502

ClassicMac247

I'm not exactly sure how to post photos, do you want me to just email them to you?:D

9. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

You what??? :mad:

10. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

They are no more or less rare than any other Quadra or IIcx/IIci at this point. They're all relatively rare, but the Quadra 700 is probably the least rare of the bunch.

As for the monitor, it was a case of "truth in advertising". It was what would today be called a 17 inch monitor. The difference is that this was based on television screen size advertising, where you were only allowed to advertise the size of the viewable area. Later, computer manufacturers found out they could advertise the size of the entire tube, not just the viewable area. That old 16 inch monitor has the same viewable size as Apple's later "17 inch" displays. (Apple also had a "20 inch" that was the same viewable size as later "21 inch" displays.)

11. iHerzeleid macrumors 6502a

iHerzeleid

12. coolant113 macrumors 6502

coolant113

rock on uterbrier 2! lmfao brother... by the way in your signature that g3 aqua is the one i AM CURRENTLY LENDING to you:apple::apple: