Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sudhir

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2010
I have two IP domains in my house one is 192.168.200.0 and the other is 192.168.1.0, The first one is my home office network and has a big internet pipe, the second as a slower DLS connection but has my NAS server, Applet TV, PS3, Time Capsule, etc which I don't want to put on my other network. I configured my Media Center Mac Mini to access both the networks using '+' command on the network settings, and defining two Addresses in those 2 domains. I am now able to access both the domains perfectly. My question is as follows,

1. Will the Mac Mini work as a router now to route packets between the two networks? Because i don't want that to happen.

2. As both the domains have valid Internet Gateway's defined, when I start downloading content from the net, which gateway will be chosen by the Mac Mini as primary? Can it be configured?

Appreciate your help, tried to look on the forums but could not get the information needed.

Regards,

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
1. No

2. You can set the Service Order by clicking in the Gear Icon, to the right of the + and - buttons, and selecting "Set Service Order." Move the primary connection to the top of the list if it already isn't.

jpyc7

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2009
Denver, CO
1. Will the Mac Mini work as a router now to route packets between the two networks? Because i don't want that to happen.

2. As both the domains have valid Internet Gateway's defined, when I start downloading content from the net, which gateway will be chosen by the Mac Mini as primary? Can it be configured?

Appreciate your help, tried to look on the forums but could not get the information needed.

Regards,

I am pretty sure that the Mac Mini will not work as a router.

I am also pretty sure that one of the gateway is already the default (what you call primary) and that it can be configured, but I don't know how. It might not necessarily be done via the GUI and/or it might depend on the order of configuration.

I would suggest an online search for "configuring default gateway" for Mac instead of "primary" (and not necessarily in these forums). "Default" is the term used in networking.

EDIT: Nevermind, just do what calderone says.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.