Duel screen through thunderbolt

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jacksoncmc835, Aug 16, 2012.

1. jacksoncmc835 macrumors member

I have a 13 inch mac book pro from late 2011 that i would like to hook up to another monitor or tv anyone have any luck doing this. i DON'T want to buy an apple tv or thunderbolt display. Im looking for the cheap option.

I haven't found any adaptors for thunderbolt to hmdi or what ever. As said im looking for cheap option and cant find any converters like those cheapies from china made for the mini diplayport

2. Namtaro macrumors regular

Thunderbolt IS a mini display port.

I use a Mini Display Port to HDMI cable that's plugged into the Thunderbolt port to connect my Macbook to my TV.

I'm not sure if it will work on the 13 inch though, I remember hearing it only outputs video and not sound, someone will have to confirm that for you.

You said you wanted dual monitors, I'm pretty sure that only Thunderbolt can daisy chain for multiple displays. Using a normal monitor/TV through Mini Display Port will only allow one display (Plus your 13inch's display).

3. Stooby Mcdoobie macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

Nah, that's not true. It depends on the adapter you get. Some of the cheaper quality adapters don't pass audio, but most of them do. I use this to connect my late 2011 13" MBP to my TV. It passes both video and audio.

4. Namtaro macrumors regular

5. jacksoncmc835 thread starter macrumors member

hmm interesting, i was under the impression that it was differnet , when i get home ill have to hook it up to my cable i got for hdmi

As for audio on my imac i just run a audio line which is no big deal to be honest.

Thanks so much for the input

6. samh macrumors 6502

Thunderbolt and Displayport are different, but the way TB is implemented on the MacBook Pro, you can output Displayport directly from the Thunderbolt port and use the aforementioned adapter.