DUH! It's too large to carry with me...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by dave1812dave, Jan 27, 2010.

1. dave1812dave macrumors 6502a

so what good is a 3G service? I'll stick with my venerable (and pocketable) touch. Today's unveiling of the iPad (feminine hygiene product come to mind??) is a major MEH!!

2. amirite macrumors 6502a

So a laptop would be even less use to anybody wanting a portable computer!

And that's funny, the feminine hygiene product part. I've never heard that EVER.

3. dave1812dave thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't carry my netbook with me either, of course. Even on vacation, it sits at home and my wife brings hers along. If I MUST, I'll borrow hers for a few moments, but can manage a lot with my Touch and MiFi which I adore.

4. admanimal macrumors 68040

Well since it's not useful for you personally, they should have just not included that option at all.

5. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

It is smaller than netbooks with similar screensizes in terms of weight and thickness.

seems like it would be good to carry around in that capacity.

I view it more as something to use around the house and take it when I go on trips, not something I carry around with me everywhere I go.

the iPhone or iPod touch fill that market segment.

There is not one device for all situations, and it seems Apple found a hole here and is trying to fill it.

Seems to me they did find a hole because there are times that I wish my iphone had a bigger screen.

6. dave1812dave thread starter macrumors 6502a

3g or no 3g (I currently use a pricey (but I'm worth it) MiFi), so cost isn't much of a factor, but USABILITY and PORTABILITY are huge for me. the ipad doesn't cut it in either regard. This is a very poor showing, by Jobs and Co.

7. mrkjsn macrumors 6502

Hygiene product? You'll just have to get over the name I guess. With the right kind of media your iTouch could sound a bit funny too. :p

8. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Ugh, what were they thinking, not specifically targeting you with this device? The nerve of them!

9. dave1812dave thread starter macrumors 6502a

LOL! I love their ipods--I've got 11 of them, including several my wife has, but this product doesn't cut it with me and 70% of the respondents to a Macrumors poll today...

10. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

If it's only 70%, then Apple is gonna rake in a ton of cash with this thing. I'd be curious what the iPhone poll said a couple of hours after launch - I bet it was far higher than 70%. :)

11. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

70% of the members of MR who said they aren't impressed are a HUGE minority, poll the whole damn world if you want unbiased results.

12. dave1812dave thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't remember exact figures, but IIRC, it (iPhone) was demoed to great applause and enthusiasm. I don't get the sense that this unveiling got quite the fanboi-welcome of the original (and flawed) iPhone.

13. TonyK macrumors 6502a

TonyK

There are situations where having something more powerful than the iPhone/iPod Touch is needed. And it may be possible to use this with Google Voice over WiFi/3G and hold conversations. Have to see the product when it is released. :D

Anyone remember PeeWee Herman and why he got arrested? :rolleyes:

14. jalpert macrumors 6502

MacRumors readers tend to be Apple fans ranging from user to fanatic. Your right, the results are biased, toward people who love Apple so they might really be in trouble.

15. cottonjenn macrumors member

I kind of would have liked it better if it were a 5 x 7. Oh well.

16. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

true, but it seems as though it would be a little biased as to those who are computer fanatics, or just tech-savvy with Apple products. there are probably a whole lot of devoted Apple customers that aren't looking for huge specs and have low standards towards Apple in general, and the iPad might satisfy them.

17. admanimal macrumors 68040

You would think that Macrumors users would be biased in favor of anything Apple makes, but in reality they seem to have unreasonably high expectations and are overly critical of everything Apple does.

18. cube macrumors G5

Looking at Apple's video, it seems to be a device to laze out surfing the web at home, not to take out.

But it doesn't have Flash, so it's dubious even for that (even if I don't like Flash).

I said web, because for books it would have to be electronic ink.

19. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

thanks for indirectly supporting my previous post:D

20. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Here is the final packaging for that product from Failblog.org

Attached Files:

21. bozzykid macrumors 68020

Not true. I can throw my laptop in my bag with no worries. I put this iPad in my bag and the screen is cracked before I get out the door. This is true with any "slate" device however. I just can't see how it is going to be very portable. It will require a substantial cover to keep pressure off of that screen.

22. TheVidEditor macrumors regular

TheVidEditor

It could be used for home protection-the intruder wouldn't knew what hit him-non other than an iPad.

23. dave1812dave thread starter macrumors 6502a

LMAO!!! Priceless! Thanks!

24. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Well, as an equally valid counter point to you, I carry and use my Dell mini 9 with me every single day. I tether it to my cell phone via wifi and use the hell out of it all the time.

I know, crazy isn't it!?

25. dave1812dave thread starter macrumors 6502a

and I counter your counter with "most people are not interested in schlepping around all that hardware!"