Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaveFP56

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
I am brand new to Macs- just got a Macbbok Pro.

When I first got the machine Flash player was working fine and then suddenly it disappeared. I re-installed from Adobe (10) and it was working fine again.

Went to youtube/Live Leak and again I can't play video.?!

I reinstall again and it is working again.

My guess is that I am deleting the player myself. My understanding is that once an app is installed to the hard drive I can delete the .dmg from the applications folder. Also on the desktop is a drive icon "Install Flash Player 10 UB". I also assumed that I could delete this too. Am I wrong? Must one of these items remain?

Any replys appreciated. I already read the "Installing Applications" guide here but is doesn't address this problem.

Thanks to all!

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
Installers come as dmg image files and you would normally find them downloaded to the desktop. Double click on the dmg icon to mount it (shows up on the desktop as an icon) and 1. if an application is displayed, drag (copy) the application to the Application folder, 2 if an installer program is shown, double click on the installer and follow directions to install correctly. After 1. or 2. you can unmount the dmg image file (command E or drag to the trash) and then either delete the dmg file or save it in a "Installers" folder (the name is your choice) somewhere on your HD for use later).
Normally you would not keep the dmg file in the Applications folder as you said (It won't do any thing bad being there, it just makes things harder to keep organized).

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
If you cannot figure it out such a simple thing, make an appointment with Apple Store for them to help you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.