Dumb for getting a MacBook Pro for gaming?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ginofresh, Jun 8, 2017.

1. ginofresh macrumors member

ginofresh

No I don't game to much, I currently have a razer blade 2015 and looking for something new. I had windows all my life and wanting to get me the MacBook Pro 15inc $2700 one I do plan on using bootcamp but I am scared I am going to regret leaving windows because of how easy it is to play games and the razer have stronger power for gaming. The only games I plan on playing are maybe Friday the 13th and overwatch and maybe some other big title that come out but as of right now the only thing I am playing is Stardew valley/farmville and I do play all blizzard games. But is it just a bad choice for buying a Mac for gaming once in a while ?

2. sunapple macrumors 65816

sunapple

Windows on Bootcamp runs great and to compare performance you can just look at the CPU and GPU the Mac comes with, compare benchmarks with Windows machines. On macOS there is a significant gain in performance through Apple's customized drivers like Metal, but this is only relevant if you're playing games that are available for the Mac platform.

I found that the 4GB GPU from the 2016 MacBook Pro (AMD 460) is capable of powering Grand Theft Auto V, a high demanding game, on high settings. You're choosing the lower-end 2GB model which I think would work pretty well. I actually own a 2015 model with the 2GB GPU, runs GTA fine as well (just on lower settings).

Gaming on any laptop however is going to result in fan noise and high price tags, but as you mention you only game occasionally so I get it (otherwise you know you could buy a true PC desktop for it).

Curious to hear why you would opt for the MacBook Pro, if you're also using it for maybe creative tools? I mean, I'd just buy a console and a lower end laptop if I didn't require a fast GPU for my work.

3. ginofresh thread starter macrumors member

ginofresh

The Mac I am getting is they 4gb one I think it's 2799$ and why do I want a Mac well because of the fact that I have n iPhone Apple TV be Apple Watch and just would like to have an Mac as well to have everything just match I want the higher end Mac so when I do run games I have higher FPS and I have a razer so I do understand fan noise lol but I am stuck between a MacBook Pro or a new razer

4. leman macrumors G3

If gaming is your only goal, then a MBP probably offers the least value for money on the market :) If you are getting it for other purposes and will play stuff like Stardew Valley on it, well, any MBP will be more then sufficient. For more demanding games you should get the 15" with the Pro 560. The performance is similar to the 965M if you want a reference point. So its well below your 2015 Blade.

5. sunapple macrumors 65816

sunapple

Oh, you're right I got them mixed because of the Dutch euro prices (2GB = €2799 & 4GB = €3299 :eek:).

I guess that model runs your games fine, but as far as recommending anything goed I wouldn't recommend spending that kind of money if you only use its power for occasional gaming. You can only really recommend what makes sense and in this case that's probably to keep your current machine, get another Blade, or get anything else that does have more value for money. It's like getting a Bentley to transport a family of 6. ;)

And please use some punctuation in your comments, makes them way easier to understand...

6. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

IF gaming and internet browsing is your general goal,buying a MacBook Pro is like trying to qualify for the formula one races with a very expensive,but extremely slow rolls Royce 40/60 hp.
    But if it's for work,photo editing and a few minutes of less complicated games every now and then,it works fine.

7. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 68000

New_Mac_Smell

Buying a MacBook Pro to game on is like buying a PS3 to do your accounts.

Also do we need so many threads on this? There must be 1 every page. And the answer is always the same, yes you can use a MBP for gaming, but if that is your primary concern then you should get something designed for gaming and not for working.

8. RJ2010115 macrumors newbie

RJ2010115

This is a very misleading post. A macbook pro 15 with the 460 (now 560) graphics card will work fine as a reasonable gaming machine. It will work a little slower than he nvidia 1050 (not the ti one, the regular) and this is sold as a gaming card.

For your needs it will be great and that macbook will be a great gaming machine. It's cooler, better built, the cpu is equal or better than anything out there, the ssd is the fastest that exists...

People deride the macbook but it really is good enough. The only thing you need, at least until we see it metal 2 makes any difference, is windows on bootcamp.

9. Nilhum macrumors regular

Nilhum

It is awful for gaming. You could buy a laptop for $900 windows laptop that will do much better. Why buy such an expensive laptop if you want gaming to be a priority?

10. jackoatmon macrumors 6502a

jackoatmon

11. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

I wouldn't dare buy an MBP as a gaming machine, even my Inspiron 7559 with its 960M is a better performer than an MBP.

12. fokmik macrumors 68020

If you play blizzard games and stuff like that and you want best in class design fit and finish with macOS with free software upgrades for your entire life,then go ahead. If you play dome demanding games then.,no

13. KensaiMage macrumors regular

KensaiMage

If you play Blizzard Games only... and maybe some remasters of old games like Baldur's Gate I&II EE - any mac is a good choice. Otherwise, if you play a lot and enjoy playing many different games (new and old) Mac is not for you.