Dumb phone to iphone 2g, signing up for data

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dodgeviper567, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Dodgeviper567 macrumors newbie

Jan 18, 2011
    Hi people,

I have a problem. Unlike most people who transfer their sim cards from dumb phones to iphones, i want a data plan. I have been using the iphone for months now and have never put a data block or changed the apn. Att has not automatically added the data plan to my account, and i cannot add the plan as a feature on the website. I dont want to have to wait for my plan to expire as i need data now. Anyone have a fix to my problem? Either through att or some alternative method.

2. Apple 26.2 macrumors 6502a

Apple 26.2

Jan 1, 2011
    What up, 212?!
    Give customer service a buzz... they should be able to help.
  3. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

Jul 8, 2008
    Go to AT&T and get a new sim, then restore your iPhone to it's original condition. Then set it up in iTunes and select your old number and add the unlimited data plan for 2G for $20. Done and your grandfathered into unlimited. Bam.
  4. aneftp macrumors 601

Jul 28, 2007
    That trick has been closed by Att for the most part. They put u on $15/200mb data plan if u move sim into iPhone 4.

Some people say it may work but for the most part that loophole has been closed.
  5. solius macrumors regular

Jul 15, 2010
    Decatur AL
    No, it still works. Guy I know did it just yesterday.
  6. Dodgeviper567 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 18, 2011
    thanks for the replies. What does it take to get a new sim? does it cost anything? what will they do with my old one?
  7. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Jun 21, 2010
    San Francisco, Ca
    You can keep your old SIM if you want, it just won't work. Your best bet would be to head over to any corporate AT&T store. They'll give you a free SIM card. You'll need to provide your Identification to verify you are the account owner or authorized user.