Dumb question about Apple Upgrade Program

OrlandoTragic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 13, 2007
Orlando, FL
Hi guys,

I'm sorry if this has been answered before, I tried looking around but its hard to find answers to my specific few questions.

I generally buy the new iPhone every year, and I usually just pay full price out of pocket, and mitigate the cost by selling last years model.

I am paranoid about securing a preorder on Friday, so I was considering moving over to the Apple Upgrade Program. My question is this - during the sign-up process, I have the option of paying in full upon purchase.

If I do that, am I still eligible to upgrade next year, and able to sell my current phone, as long as I sign a new 24 month contract? I hate recurring monthly charges, and would rather just pay outright and not have to worry about it.

Thanks for any advice, I appreciate it.

KrisLord

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2008
Northumberland, UK
It sounds like you don’t need the benefits of the plan.

The aim of the upgrade program is to avoid paying upfront and spread the cost. The bonus is you can give the phone back after 11 payments and start a new plan.

If you can afford to pay for it in one go and prefer that option, just buy the phone and then sell it next year to envirofone or even Apple will trade it in (for less than other companies though)

KrisLord

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2008
Northumberland, UK
I’ve reread your post and I think I misunderstood.

If you preorder for the upgrade plan, then change your mind next Friday, you in effect buy it outright and forfeit the benefits of the plan. So next year you’re in the same position as you are today.

JulesJam

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
I am paranoid about securing a preorder on Friday, so I was considering moving over to the Apple Upgrade Program. My question is this - during the sign-up process, I have the option of paying in full upon purchase.

If I do that, am I still eligible to upgrade next year
If you pay in full, you do not have the option of trading in your phone through the AiUP since you aren't joining it. However, you can trade it in for an Apple gift card if you like, but usually you are better off selling it.
[doublepost=1508963378][/doublepost]
and able to sell my current phone
Once you have paid in full, you own the phone and can do anything you want with it.
[doublepost=1508963425][/doublepost]
I hate recurring monthly charges, and would rather just pay outright and not have to worry about it.
You can pre-order on the AiUP, then pay the device off in full. However, you will be paying for AppleCare+ too so make sure you want AC+ if you do that.