dumb question... (add/remove apps from dock, etc)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by goose1873, Feb 13, 2008.

1. goose1873 macrumors member

new to os - how do I add/remove apps from Dock? what is expose? thanks

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

You can just drag the icon of programs to the dock. It automatically creates an alias (Shortcut in Windows terms) in the dock to the Application.

Expose is a feature to all you to quickly show all open windows, all windows of the current program, or quickly view the desktop. It is sometimes handy, as it doesn't actually move the positions, just make the change until you click or deactivate, then returns to how it was before.

TEG

3. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Simply click and drag something onto the dock to add it and simply click and drag an icon from the dock off the dock to make it disappear in a *poof*. :)

Expose is the feature which allows you to view all open windows simultaneously in an elegant fashion. It is a very handy feature. It was first introduced in OS X 10.3 Panther.

4. goose1873 thread starter macrumors member

thank you everyone...i'm sure i'll be back w/ more noob questions...

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

you can set up your expose prefs in system prefs.

you can leave them bound to keys, or add in hot corner activation, which i love.
    basically you put your mouse pointer in the corner and it activates that expose function. makes things faster and easier

6. goose1873 thread starter macrumors member

actually one more question...how do I start a "Stack" on the dock. It seems dragging things to and from only works with apps

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

stacks need to be on the right side of that divider. so next to the trash can :p

8. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Stacks also have to be folders.

And you can also set up Exposé and/or Spaces and/or Dashboard to use the various buttons on a mighty mouse, if you have one.

9. goose1873 thread starter macrumors member

I know they have to go there, but I can't start a new one. If I drag a folder next to the trash can and release it just moves the icon to that position on the desktop, but not onto the dock as a new "stack"...sorry for the confusion.

10. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

no worries. when you drag it there, wait or move it around until the is an open space created. takes a little to get used to but it'll happen. and then drop it in there.

11. goose1873 thread starter macrumors member

12. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

No you're not, you're learning. We were all at your stage at one point in time. :) Contiue to ask questions and don't feel bad about it - we're here to help. :cool: