Dumb Question: Are Mac Pros good for gaming?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Hog Milanese, May 21, 2015.

1. Hog Milanese macrumors regular

Hog Milanese

I'm considering using a Mac Pro (like this one) for my design and other work, but I'd also like to know if it can run the latest games.

Does having dual discrete graphics cards make a difference? Are the AMD cards good for today's games, or do they have drawbacks?

2. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

Very much so. They are very powerful, especially with games that support crossfire (to take advantage of both GPUs). I would say that if you want to use it as a gaming machine, that you should install Windows on it just to get the widest range of games as possible.

Perfromace wise though, it's very powerful. The Dual D300's in that model you posted are the entry GPUs to the Mac line so I recommend just taking a look to see if you can find a 2012 Mac Pro (a tower model) as you would be able to replace the graphics cards as you like.

----------

I think that you may get better gaming perfromace from the 5K iMac with the upgrade to the M295x GPU. This would also be cheaper I think and obviously comes with a 5K display.

Here is a video of it playing GTA V: http://youtu.be/ghy3A420UNQ

3. td2243 macrumors 6502

4. RoastingPig macrumors 68000

RoastingPig

if your mac pro has a gtx 980 like mine...you can game any game

5. poematik13 macrumors 6502a

on the nMP, your best bet is to boot into windows for gaming as it fully uses crossfire on both GPU's. games on OS X only use 1. You'll get fairly playable and solid framerates on most games with the d300's, but the d500 and d700 will be even better.

another option is to get the older mac pro tower and put in a nice card (a 980, titan ,etc) and play on there.