Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dorkington

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
This is getting to the point where I feel like I'm missing something silly and simple.

I have an external drive that I keep most of my media on. I want to share it with my network. The computer with the external devices is a 24" iMac with 10.6.6 installed.

I go to System Preferences > Sharing > File Sharing

I hit the "+" icon on the left set, add the folder on the external drive.

(this is where it starts getting weird)

Permissions for the external drive are greyed out. I can't edit them at all. But it all indicates that Read/Write is available for everyone.

For testing sake, I also have folders shared on my internal hard drive as well.

I log on to the network on another Mac, browse to the iMac as a guest. It shows my internal drive folders fine, but nothing for the external drive folder. Ok, so I log in with my admin information, and I remember this would show you all the volumes. It's only showing the system volume, and none of the external drives or the other internal partition.

I'm kind of lost.

Help? :confused:

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Last edited:

Dorkington

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
Gotta love asking before doing the most basic of troubleshooting.

I repaired permissions and restarted, and now the shared folders are showing up.

*head desk*

Hopefully the problem doesn't crop up again though.

For future reference, all of my drives besides the system drive and time machine are formatted FAT32.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.