Dumb Question: I don't understand Airport Extreme Base Station

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by California, Jul 5, 2009.

1. California macrumors 68040

California

I don't understand something very basic about the internet...

I have been using a 2WIRE wireless box plugged into my phone line/DSL for four years. I knocked it over and it doesn't seem like it is broadcasting a wireless signal anymore, so I bought an Airport Extreme Base Station, 2007 square model used.

I don't understand how to set it up... Can't I just throw away the 2WIRE thing now? When I try to use the Airport Extreme thing, it does not recognize the internet DSL signal or something.

I just want to use the Airport Extreme as a dsl wireless router alone.

I don't want the 2WIRE thing. The 2WIRE thing is usable when I plug my ethernet cord into it, but it is no longer broadcasing a wireless signal.

How do I set up the Airport Extreme with my DSL for wireless?

Sorry this is so stupid. I just don't understand what to do at all.

2. joro macrumors 68020

joro

If you're on a MAC you need to setup the router through Airport Utility which is found under Applications --> Utilities. The light on the front of the router should be green when it's ready to use.

3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

You will still need the 2Wire box because it not only serves as a router but also as a DSL modem.
    The setup will require you to connect an Ethernet cable from the 2Wire modem to the WAN port (circle of dots) on the AirPort Extreme. To set up the base station, turn on your computer's wireless card and connect to the default network named Apple Network followed by a string of numbers and letters, or connect to a LAN port on the base station. Once connected through either method, launch AirPort Utility and go through the automatic setup process which eliminates a lot of the complexities when setting up the base station for the first time.