Dumb question re: timekeeping and travel.

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by gwynne, Mar 17, 2015.

1. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

Haven't been around the forums in a long while. Tried some rudimentary searches and googles. Sorry if this is obvious.

Anyone know how the Apple Watch will handle timekeeping when *it and its parent iPhone have no internet access*? I'm going to be taking a cruise in September (first cruise ever) and I've seen numerous people say their phones are kind of useless for cruise timekeeping due to frequent changes in 'ship time' and lack of internet connectivity.

Anyone know how the Apple Watch will handle time-keeping and manual time-zone changes in the absence of any internet connectivity?

2. bumpylumpy macrumors member

That's something I wonder about also. When I'm on a cruise, I typically have to set my iPhone's clock manually by picking an approximate timezone that is close to the country we're sailing to, and my phone sits in airplane mode the entire time. I'm hoping the watch, if I just leave it connected via Bluetooth will be able to sync the time and do it's normal, non-internet functions like upload my steps and heart rate to the phone. I tend to do a lot of walking on vacation and it's fun to see all the steps and stairs at the end of each day when I'm tired!