Dumb question regarding "Output Device" in audio preferences...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cyberjunky, Jul 16, 2009.

1. cyberjunky macrumors regular

Hi there.

Having gone through the settings, i have a speaker system plugged into my white macbook through the 3.5mm audio jack. I am running OS X Leopard 10.5.7 and am unable to find the options that i thought were available previously in tiger to configure the speaker setup/orientation. For example whether i am using satellite speakers, or 2 speakers either side, 3 4 or whatever it was, just like i would if i was using windows. It has a section under "Sound" then "Output", however it seems to be automated, i cannot add or remove, or edit items within the list.

[​IMG]

I just want to know how to properly configure mac os x, to work with my speaker system, it has one bass unit and 5 satellite speakers.

Thanks in advance.

2. madog macrumors 65816

madog

I don't believe the MacBook supports 5.1 surround sound without a toslink cable or some other external adapter. After that, Perian is a free app that enables surround sound in various apps such as QuickTime.

3. cyberjunky thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for your reponse. Meanwhile i have ordered a 5-way headphone splitter so i can plug in all 3 of the cables that the speaker system uses and hopefully get proper audio out on it.

4. madog macrumors 65816

madog

I don't believe a splitter would do it. It might be able to get sound to all of the speakers, however, I don't think it would be "true" surround (edit: from looking at the Firewave, I might be wrong). You would either need the Griffin Firewave (which might actually be a "splitter" in a sense, but looks to be discontinued), or a Optical Toslink cable with mini-adapter.

And then I think the Mac only technically supports surround in the DVDPlayer app, but the Perian app allows it to work in QuickTime (I know), and possibly other apps as well (though I don't imagine it would be much useful in anything else, maybe VLC).