Dumb Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cl601amt, Sep 2, 2010.

1. cl601amt macrumors member

If I go to the Apple store to buy an iphone what do I need to bring, I am a current ATT customer. I looked on Apples website but could not find anything.
    Also could I buy the phone and not activate it in store? Any disadvantages to doing it this way?

2. cl601amt thread starter macrumors member

No thanks.

actually I am using a giftcard, when it shows up

3. xyz1534 macrumors regular

4. weirdlilwoman macrumors member

5. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

Not sure if they will hand it over without activating it first.

Why do you want it in-active?

6. Ann P macrumors 68020

To sell it off duh. ;)

7. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

8. cl601amt thread starter macrumors member

I want to try the to get unlimited data, so I don't want them to choose my rate plan for me.

9. kimtyson macrumors member

^^^^Only dumb answers!

Sorry. I couldn't resist.:cool:

10. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

you will get one of their data plans no matter what you do...you're beyond the grandfathered date...and the only time you can activate at home is when you buy online...I think

11. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

you will get one of their data plans no matter what you do...you're beyond the grandfathered date...and the only time you can activate at home is when you buy online and have it shipped to your house...I think

12. RTiii320 macrumors 6502a

RTiii320

When I purchased my phone I asked the rep if I could leave it still wrapped in the plastic and take it home to activate. He said that was fine, but I was upgrading so my number would no longer be attached to a phone until I activated. Needing a phone immediately I had him open it up.

So if your getting a new line or can wait to call AT&T to have your number Switched from your iPhone back to your old phone, I guess it would work.. Also the rep that sold it to me was a great guy, had a nice chat with him before I even purchased the phone.. So he may have just been friendly enough to allow me to do it.. It's worth a try, tell the rep it's a gift andyou want them to open and activate it. Doesn't hurt to try!

*edit* like others have said though, your committed to a data plan/2year contract regardless if they make you activate instore or allow you to at home. If you want to walk out the store with no commitments they are going to charge $599 or so..

13. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

Bring your ID and credit card or cash.

If you don't activate in the store, they won't sell it to you at the subsidized price. At least that's what the Apple store told me. AT&T may be different.

If you want the subsidized price (duh), you will have to activate.

Just add unlimited internet to whatever plan you have now, and when you change to the iPhone, they will grandfather you in with unlimited data.