Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drewdawg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2010
I know this is a stupid question but I figured I would ask it here.
When you buy the iPhone for $199, you sign a 2 year contract. Does that mean that if I get the iPhone 5 I would have to wait 2 years and get the iPhone 7? Because a lot of people seem to get a new iPhone once a year.

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
When you buy the iPhone for $199, you sign a 2 year contract. Does that mean that if I get the iPhone 5 I would have to wait 2 years and get the iPhone 7? Because a lot of people seem to get a new iPhone once a year.

There are no dumb questions (sometimes. There are always exceptions. But yours isn't)

The two years just means you cannot get a new contract (with the current carrier or a new one) without paying an early termination fee (ETF). The people that buy a new iPhone every year do one of two things: either they pay the ETF and get a new iPhone, or (and probably the more likely option) they buy the new iPhone outright for the unsubsidized price and then activate it on their network with their current carrier. If you wanted to upgrade your iPhone in the middle of your contract, then you'd have to choose one of these options.

antman2295

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2010
There are no dumb questions (sometimes. There are always exceptions. But yours isn't)

The two years just means you cannot get a new contract (with the current carrier or a new one) without paying an early termination fee (ETF). The people that buy a new iPhone every year do one of two things: either they pay the ETF and get a new iPhone, or (and probably the more likely option) they buy the new iPhone outright for the unsubsidized price and then activate it on their network with their current carrier. If you wanted to upgrade your iPhone in the middle of your contract, then you'd have to choose one of these options.

What about the early upgrade eligibility that many people receive for paying a certain amount on their monthly bill?

AIP5

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2011
What about the early upgrade eligibility that many people receive for paying a certain amount on their monthly bill?

Yup, that's true. For AT&T, at least. AT&T allows you to upgrade early (a year early as was my friend's case). My friend's had every version of the iPhone since it came out, and AT&T's gladly let him upgrade without any termination fee. Why wouldn't they? It guarantees his payments for 2 additional years instead of just 1. (Of course, you probably won't be eligible if you bought an iPhone within like 7 or 8 months or so).

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area

Ahh! I completely forgot about that! You got my back :cool:

OP: Another option is some carriers allow early device upgrades mid contract for being a "loyal customer" by staying with the carrier for a certain amount time, paying your monthly bills on time, etc. (basically it varies by carrier depending on their terms. You'd have to check with your carrier specifically and see what their terms are for early upgrades).

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA

OP: Another option is some carriers allow early device upgrades mid contract for being a "loyal customer" by staying with the carrier for a certain amount time, paying your monthly bills on time, etc. (basically it varies by carrier depending on their terms. You'd have to check with your carrier specifically and see what their terms are for early upgrades).

Ya well let's hope VZW decides to do that... been a customer for over 10 years and no benefits so far :(

Looon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
Ya well let's hope VZW decides to do that... been a customer for over 10 years and no benefits so far :(

The local verizon salesman told me they are no longer going to be doing early upgrades soon

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
Even if you're not eligible for a free upgrade, they will (at the very least) allow you to buy it at a somewhat reduced cost (with, of course, another 2 year contract).

Many people simply sell their year old phones and purchase a new one with the proceeds... you may lose some money in the process, but it won't be too much and you'll always have the 'latest and greatest' available.

twitt3r

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2009
Unlike some people here, I'll tell you straight - it IS a dumb question. If you want a new iPhone before your existing contract is up, you will have to pay either way through Early Termination or your heavily inflated monthly payment if you are on a silly plan.

Alternative is to buy the phone unlocked so you can pick your plan and sell it whenever you want.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Yep you wait

The years of your contract..

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK

Most just sell their current one thats why.

ah123

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2011
You sign a contract for a reason. It is legally binding.

You have to stump up the cash one way or the other if you want to break this contract.

Or you can just honour the contract and not get up-tight about not having a phone that came out of the factory this morning (not aimed at OP, just people who can't survive unless they have the most up-to-date tech all the time).

Kyotoma

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2010
Carnegie and Ontario

My family has been with AT&T for many years(Cingular, which was my service before, bought them and then chose to keep the name for their company. Even before that, we had switched from AT&T to Cingular), and never missed a bill or paid it late. They let my upgrade every year and fortunately it is/was early June, just in time for every iPhone up until now. This year I used my upgrade for a white iPhone 4 so I'm set for awhile. I love my iPhone 4, although I am excited to see what Apple comes up with next with the fifth generation iPhone. I won't be getting it though. I'll wait till next year for whatever comes out. My iPhone 4 will last until then.

ah123

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2011
Someone's keen to start a fight in every thread... Bored during your school holidays, are you, twit-t3r??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.