dumb question.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by diiamond89, Oct 1, 2011.

1. diiamond89 macrumors member

diiamond89

How does everyone get the ios5 update before it comes out? i know it has something to do with the developer thing on the apple site.. but i was just wondering can everyone do it or do you pay a certain amount?
    thanks

2. applesith macrumors 68020

applesith

$99 per year and you get developer access to iOS.

3. enoC macrumors 6502

enoC

You join the Developer Program for 99$ per year, and then you have access to iOS and iTunes betas.

4. diiamond89 thread starter macrumors member

diiamond89

5. Mr.C macrumors 601

Or as a consumer you can also get invited to participate in betas.

6. diiamond89 thread starter macrumors member

diiamond89

what does that mean?

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Not Dumb At All

Pay the fee, join the club. Idea is if you have the time to do it and provide weekly (sometimes daily) feedback then you are just the kind of person needed.

If you are serious about it, and you have the time to dedicate to the job, contact Apple first. If they fob you off PM me...But not that much going on at the moment.

8. autigerMark macrumors member

autigerMark

I think he means that you send apple feedback about the betas so they can fix bugs.

9. Mr.C macrumors 601

It means just what I said. As a consumer of Apple products you may get chosen to take part in betas. I got an email from them a few weeks ago and signed up for it although I've not downloaded the iOS or Lion betas.

10. autigerMark macrumors member

autigerMark

Mr. C, I think the OP was confused about what it meant to "participate in betas."

11. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Correct Answer

It shows a certain amount of knowledge, and a level of commitment. I guess most people think that all Apple (And any other platform / manufacturer) just magically brings a great new product to the market.

It's just not the case, it takes testing in the real world...Heck we don't want another Aerial fiasco do we?

That kind of thing.....All the way down to Look, Feel. Touch response etc.

It's not for everyone, but without testers, our kit would not function as it does. For the most part properly!

An invite was my in, but open BETA for IOS5 has been around for quite a while. All round? A very worthwhile and exciting task...If you are really into technology. It also comes with certain privileges...as in life what you put in, you tend to get round (UK USers) What goes around comes around (USA users)..We need more of you.