Dumb Question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iSlave, Nov 23, 2007.

1. iSlave macrumors 6502

Ok, sorry if this is a dumb question, but here we go....

I currently have an iMac with Tiger installed, and am planning on getting Leopard (1 user licence) pretty soon. Now, if I were to sell the iMac at some point and get, say a Macbook, would I then not be able to install my copy of Leopard on it? As it's already been used up on the iMac??

Apologies if this makes no sense at all, tonight I have been on the sauce...

:D

2. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

as if this hasn't been asked enough...

Technically yes you can. legaly/morally absolutely not!

3. iSlave thread starter macrumors 6502

Dude, I apologise. Like I said, I'm under the influence, and easily confused by very simple things.

4. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

The whole issue is that if you sell your iMac with Leopard installed you would need to supply it with the Leopard disc. If you reverted it back to Tiger you "technically" could put Leopard on your MacBook, but if it's a brand new MacBook that's not a problem.

5. View macrumors regular

But, it would come w/ leopard installed, unless you bought it used...

6. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Well, chances are if you buy a macbook in the future it would have Leopard preinstalled anyways.

7. iSlave thread starter macrumors 6502

All good points, and I believe the question has been answered in full.

As for the moral argument..should Apple be selling me an iPhone, locked into an 18-month contract for a total cost of nearly £1000, when it only costs about £80 to produce?

8. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

What's the difference in getting a free phone from a carrier and paying monthly on a contract for 18 months? Nothing. Your logic is illogical?

9. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

:rolleyes:

A company puts 2 years worth of R&D into a product, they deserve some profit back if it is a good product! Leopard is a good product, the iPhone is a good product! you either buy it, or you don't! you dont say, "well apple wants to charge me too much, so I am just going to steal their software"

BTW the price of the iPhone is about 145£ to produce (according to the latest estimate), not including the 2 years R&D, and the cost it takes to maintain a cell network!