Dumb questions about Time Machine

Discussion in 'macOS' started by AppleFan360, Apr 30, 2008.

1. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

OK, dumb questions.

I have a iMac with 3 accounts.

1. If I have a total system crash and I need to restore the hard drive (yeah I know, not likely), will time machine restore all three accounts as they were before the crash?

2. What about VMWare Fusion virtual files for Windows XP? Are they backed up as well?

3. Can I restore everything to a new iMac and make it look exactly like the old?

Just asking. It hasn't happened but I want to make sure that everything on my iMac is properly backed up.

I am using a Time Capsule.

Thanks.

2. McGiord, Apr 30, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

My answer to question #3: Time Machine doesn't work well with big files, and it isn't a good backup solution for big files, it's not recommended for backing up your virtual machines.
    ________
    Ferrari F1-2000 history

3. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Yes to all. Time machine backs up anything and everything, ie a complete clone of your hard drive, unless you tell it specific things not to back up.

However, as said before, it is not recommended for large files like virtual machines because every time you change them Time Machine will make a new copy of it and your back up hard drive will fill up so quickly you won't even have time to blink. So I would tell Time Machine not to back up the virtual machine file and just manually copy it to the backup drive every once in a while.

4. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

I had a Macbook with a WD Passport drive that I used with Time Machine. When I got my new Macbook Pro, one of the first questions asked is if you want to use a Time Machine backup. I said yes, and everything from my old Macbook came across to the new Macbook Pro. All settings, applications, etc. It was like nothing had changed.

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Actually, in regards to #2, VMWare Fusion has been updated with Time Machine support for incremental backups, so it doesn't backup a duplicate of your virtual machine every time you change something. Should make it much better for that.

jW

6. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Do you know if Parallel's has implemented a similar strategy?