Dumb shoe size question

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by yg17, Oct 22, 2008.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I ordered a pair of shoes online (Converse All Stars if it matters) and got them today, and they're about an inch too long at size 14. Yes, I have big feet. So does that mean they're 14 inches long, and I'd need a size 13? If not, what measurement does the shoe size represent so I can exchange them and get it right this time? Thanks

2. Kane.Elson macrumors regular

It's just an arbitrary number. There are 93840320 different sizing standards depending on the average size of feet in that region etc...

You can see a chart to convert to and from inches/cm here or here (clearer)

3. itguy06 macrumors 6502

For Converse All Stars, you have to go down 1 size from your normal size. So, for a size 14 you need to get a size 13. I'm a 13 and a size 12 Chucks (Converse All Star) fits perfectly. I'm surprised the place you ordered from didn't have a note - most places online have this as Chucks are sized weird like that.

Hopefully you ordered from a place like Zappos that gives you free shipping and return shipping. You can then get the right shoes and be happy. :)

Hope that helps.

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Fortunately not, as I'm sure a tape measure could have told you. I have UK 14 feet, equivalent to a US 14.5, so count yourself lucky. I wear practically nothing but flip-flops... :)

5. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

Op, if the shoe is an inch too long, go down 2 sizes each size is about 1/2 inch.

I wear a size 12, but foot is a little over 10.5 inches long.