Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rxl125

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2006
Is it smart to wait until spring(next mac os) to install windows xp on a mac? Do you think it will be a smooth transition if you have windows already installed on a mac come panther?

FredClausen

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2006
KALM
I think Apple is going to make your computer crash, and your hardware never work again if you have bootcamp installed ;)

On a serious note, why would you think that bootcamp software provided by Apple, with hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of downloads (I forget the exact number) would suddenly not be supported by Apple, especially considering that they are going to provide this software in their next OS?

rxl125

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2006
I guess they will program around the fact that bootcamp is already installed... I'm guessing it will be the next version of bootcamp since it is a public beta now.

CANEHDN

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
Eagle Mountain, UT
I've had it installed on my iMac since Bootcamp was released to the public. I've had not problems other than some driver stuff. I hardly ever use it except for school but still. I would install it. I'm sure it won't cause any problems when you install Leopard. Plus I'm planning on doing a fresh install with Leopard. Heck, that's half the fun of getting a new OS.

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
It won't matter. All Boot Camp does is (from what I understand)
- Partition your drive, if necessary
- Update your firmware
- Burn a CD with drivers for Windows.

When a new version comes out (like the final version coming with Leopard), if there is a new firmware update, it'll install that, and if there are new drivers, you'll install them.

baleensavage

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
On an island in Maine
Actually, since Boot Camp is Beta, they may disable it when Leopard comes out to force you to buy Leopard. Most companies that offer Beta software work that way. It's the reason I haven't bothered to download Lightroom, because I know the instant Adobe releases the real version, the Beta will stop working. Then i will be forced to go buy a $300 program.

Of course I don't think that that is any reason not to install Boot Camp. Mac OS updates are usually in the $120 range and if Apple did can the Beta when Leopard comes out, you could just go get Leopard which will probably have a much improved Boot Camp.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
apfhex said:
- Update your firmware
Actually it just prompts you to do that, you need to do it manually.

Once you've upgraded the firmware (not a beta release), you can install Windows XP without using Boot Camp. Just get the drivers somewhere else, like the onmac.net guys did before BC was released.

I suspect that the only reason BC is a Beta is that they don't want to support this version. Yet.

B

eenu

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
Manchester, UK
baleensavage said:
Actually, since Boot Camp is Beta, they may disable it when Leopard comes out to force you to buy Leopard. Most companies that offer Beta software work that way. It's the reason I haven't bothered to download Lightroom, because I know the instant Adobe releases the real version, the Beta will stop working. Then i will be forced to go buy a $300 program.

Of course I don't think that that is any reason not to install Boot Camp. Mac OS updates are usually in the $120 range and if Apple did can the Beta when Leopard comes out, you could just go get Leopard which will probably have a much improved Boot Camp.

For some reason i was under the impression BootCamp would disable December 06 or January 07 but i cannot remember where i read that :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.