Dumb Touch ID question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brgjoe, Mar 16, 2015.

1. brgjoe macrumors member

Right now I have two fingers on the right hand that I use for Touch ID purposes (getting past lock screen, Apple Pay, etc).

It's naked right now, but I have a case on the way that will cover up the home key and the touch ID area, of course. My question is, once it is covered, will I most likely make new touch ID scans? And if so, can I use the same two fingers? And will that over-ride my naked touch ID button scans?

Or will I have to use another set of fingers for the covered Touch ID button now?

Thanks in advance!

2. Z8beema macrumors 6502

Z8beema

If it's covered up it won't be able to read your finger. What kind of case are you getting?

3. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

I don't think there is anyone out here they can answer your questions, not knowing the sickness of the membrane covering the button or anything else about it.
    You're simply going to have to try it out and see if it works.

4. cmichaelb, Mar 16, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2015

cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

It won't. I use thin food service gloves for cooking and can use the passcode and anything else on my iPhone EXCEPT touch ID. It has to be a bare finger. At least in my experiences.

5. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

Yeah, I don't see how it can work. It is "touchy" enough with bare finger. Did the case manufacturer address that or in any reviews of case?

6. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

What kind of a case would cover up the home button? How useful could that be? I think I would look for another case..... :confused:

7. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

Kinda my thoughts too--

8. RiddlaBronc macrumors 6502a

RiddlaBronc

The otterbox defender covers the touch id but it still works flawlessy

9. chrfr macrumors 603

The Lifeproof Fre works fine with Touch ID as well, even though it has a membrane over the button.

10. rugmankc, Mar 16, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2015

rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

they both do that. but, seems they would be more prone to error in reading fingerprint. no sure exactly what membrane is made of, but needs to allow capacitive touch. the otterbox one looks bulky to me at home button area. At least the one I saw. Probably more than one model--?

11. brgjoe thread starter macrumors member

Ok, Cliff's: False alarm, the case does NOT cover home key. Still have a question regarding Touch ID though.

Got the case today. It's a New Trent clear case. Probably the one I will stick with now -- it's clear and covers both the front and the back. And since it's clear, it allows the design of the iPhone to be displayed without anything being hidden from view.

Though from the initial photos I looked at, it did look like the home button was covered. I got the case and it was covered...just by a little bit of tape, essentially. So I got rid of the tape that was covering the Home Key opening and it's uncovered now -- just like it would be if I didn't have a case on it.

Do have a Touch ID query though. If it WAS covered, can I still have it record the same two fingers I used to use when it was uncovered? Or would I have to use different fingers? Or does the handset care WHICH fingers I use? Say I have an index finger and a thumb already recorded without it covered. If I needed to record new fingers IF it was covered, could I still use the same index finger and thumb, or would I have to use other fingers?

I guess it's moot now with this case. But it would be nice to know if I did get one that truly did cover the Home Key/Touch ID button.

Thanks for all the input!

12. DiCaprioAngel macrumors 6502

If the home button is covered, it won't recognize your fingerprint at all. The home button has to be exposed in order to be used. It only recognizes your fingerprint so if the home button is covered, there's no way it could do that.

13. chrfr macrumors 603

This is incorrect as mentioned in the posts above yours. The thin membrane on cases like the Lifeproof and Otterbox cases allow Touch ID to work just fine. I've also used my TouchID with the phone inside a plastic sandwich bag and it's worked then too.

14. Gin Gin macrumors regular

Gin Gin

To answer your question, the phone does not know or care which fingers you use. I have my right thumb in I think 3 of the slots, which increased the accuracy for me by a lot.