Dumb Upgrade Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by karl33, Nov 2, 2013.

1. karl33 macrumors newbie

I upgraded the 2 iphones on my account to iphone 5s's, but did not trade them in. I would like to sell them to people I know but need to verify something first. Since they no longer have service, are they unlocked or do I still need to unlock them? And how do they get unlocked, they technically don't have any number attached to them. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

2. cnotes2019 Suspended

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Exactly.
    What carrier and what model iPhones are they and what carrier does the buyer intent to use them on?

4. karl33 thread starter macrumors newbie

They were AT&T and I'm not sure what carrier they are going to be used on, but I expect it to not be AT&T. If they need unlocking, how do they do it?

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You need to find out what carrier they want to use it on cause even if you do get it unlocked it will not work with any US carrier.
    Its not like you can take any phone and use it on any carrier you want. Wish it was that easy and simple like in most other countries outside the US.

6. cnotes2019 Suspended

Dumb Upgrade Question

What do you mean? If unlocked they could work on tmobile and some prepaid carriers correct ? To some extent at least :edited:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes but I said they will not work on any carrier in the US.
    If unlocked it will work with all gsm carriers in the world but will not work with any US CDMA carrier.
    And there's many of them in the US.
    It's better to know ahead instead of assuming it will work and then it won't.