Dumb workouts question

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by BaddAdvice, Oct 3, 2016.

1. BaddAdvice macrumors member

BaddAdvice

Apologies if this has been covered and I'm just not seeing it, but, if I do a workout with my Series 1 and bring my phone with me, shouldn't I see a map of my workout on the phone's Activity app? Or do maps only display when using a Series 2? I would think the phone would track my location regardless of which AW I was using?

2. kch50428 macrumors 6502

kch50428

Original Watch will keep a map when you do the outdoor activities in the watch's Workout app.

3. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

If Outdoor Running, Outdoor Walking or Outdoor Cycling you will get a map.

4. BaddAdvice thread starter macrumors member

BaddAdvice

I have multiple walking and biking workouts recorded, but I'm not seeing the maps anywhere on either AW I have (S0 and S1) nor on the phone. I'm probably not looking in the right place. Where are you guys seeing the maps?

5. Julien, Oct 3, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2016

Julien macrumors G3

Julien

iPhone: Activity App: History or Workouts tab: [click on the workout]: Scroll down to Route: Click on map

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. BaddAdvice thread starter macrumors member

BaddAdvice

Yeah, for some reason, I don't have anything below the "Ave. Speed" section in my workouts. Do I need to enable something on the watch or phone?

7. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Location Services, especially Apple Watch Workout.

iPhone: Settings: Privacy: Location Services

8. BaddAdvice thread starter macrumors member

BaddAdvice

Yeah, I'm set to "While Using" for Apple Watch Workout - always have been. Hmmmm.......

9. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Sorry not sure what else may the problem. Maybe someone else will offer a different perspective of what you are missing.

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I did end up having one Outdoor Run where I didn't get a route map for some reason. My other GPS tracking app didn't register my route, either. It was just that one day, though. Maybe OP can download an iPhone app that tracks your route with GPS and see if that works.

11. BaddAdvice thread starter macrumors member

BaddAdvice

I restarted the phone and watch and will check it out tonight during a walk or ride. I have Map My Ride installed on my phone and that's tracked my routes in the past without issue. Probably just a matter or rebooting.

12. BaddAdvice thread starter macrumors member

BaddAdvice

Works now. I noticed I wasn't saving my workouts, so either it was that or the reboot that fixed stuff. Thanks to all for your suggestions/help.

13. IngerMan macrumors 6502a

IngerMan

I have a question about saving workouts. After a work out if I hit dismiss, will it not give me credit in Activity and the calories etc don't count? If I always hit save won't that just be a lot of used memory a year or 2 down the road?

14. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

No, Workouts are transferred to your iPhone and probably only take an average of a 100K or so. Even full GXP/TCX workout with GPS data are usually far less than 2MB. Also your :apple:Watch has many GB of free memory no matter how many apps you put on it.

15. IngerMan macrumors 6502a

IngerMan

Thank you, that makes sense.