Dumbashe SSD question of the day.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by feeth, Jul 28, 2011.

1. feeth macrumors 6502

I have a late 2009 27" with 1TB installed. Running W7 via bootcamp. Lion installed. I also have a 2TB ext via firewire 800. Plus a 1TB external via USB 2.0 that I use to CCC every few months.

I'm going to add to or replace the 1TB with a intel 320 160gb.

Since I'm not really hurting for HD space, is it easier (install/setup) to just replace the current internal 1TB? It appears from what I read its a few less steps to get to the internal HD, then it is to get to the superdrive. I guess the temp/fan sensor is also an issue? If I remove the super drive, I can use the sensor from that for the SSD?

Also I dont have another good copy of W7, so I will clone that partition and then install it on the SSD or will that boot from the external?

How much space will Lion take up on the SSD. I think right now I have about 30 or 40GB for windows.

Thank you very much for your time!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Installing it to the HD bay is probably easier since you don't need OptiBays or other stuff. Windows cannot be booted externally and cloning it is a bit problematic now (WinClone has been EOLed) but you could give it a try.

I think Lion takes roughly 5GB so 160GB should be fine.

3. feeth thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you for your most helpful replies as always!

I was not aware about winclone, I found it most useful in the past. :(

4. flatfoot macrumors 65816

About the temp sensor: As to what I know, you can't use it for the SSD. There are guides on the net how to handle it so the HDD fan doesn't go full blast due to false temp readings.

About where to install the SSD: I for one would rather replace the SuperDrive. You don't even need an OptiBay enclosure, the SSD will probably be held in place anyway due to the little room it has in there. To make sure it doesn't bump around, I'd just use some adhesive tape. But that's just my two cents.