dumbie mistake, put mbp onto bed covers and overheated

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dsprimal, May 11, 2010.

1. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

Hey everybody, i just did something absolutely retarded. Shows I should have read the "Everything Mac" booklet from the moment I opened my box. I put my mbp (15"mbp 2.66 core i7) onto my bed which has very fluffy covers. and it pretty much hugged the bottom/ air flow in the back of the mbp like a marshmallow....soon after my mbp began roaring loud and i can hear the fan like as if it was my mbp was playing a intensive game or something....

But anyways, i heard the fan loud and clear for a good minute or so and lifted it up a bit off the bed covers and it eventually went silent again (after 2-3 minutes of howling from the fan) back to normal.

Anyone else do anything dumb like this? Do u think it will cause any long term damage? I feel so bad for my new baby :( :apple:

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Most probably no long term damage as the fans did their work: they cooled down the CPU and GPU, that's what fans are there for.

3. ano0oj macrumors 6502

it's happened to me a few times...i have yet to find a comfortable solution to this

4. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Nothing like putting it a neoprene case as it crashed going to sleep. It was in my backpack for at least an hour whirring away. Now THAT was hot. And that was over two years ago, I'm still typing on it.

5. dsprimal thread starter macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

thanks for the replies guys. i see where the fan vents are (you guys probably already know this). But to those who don't know, if you tilt your macbook while the screen is flipped open, you can see right between the hinge you can see the grill lining on where the air flow comes out (very sleek and well designed apple ;) you can barely notice it, you really have to look to see it).

but anyways i've been planning on getting some dust off spray and airing out that air vent for any dust that may have got into it. any thoughts on that?

6. cmaier macrumors G3

No long term damage. The processor has a thermal diode that will shut the system down before damage can occur, and there are various other thermistors in the system to do the same thing if other components overheat.

7. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

Yes, your MBP has suffered extreme and certainly permanent damage. Luckily I will take your now-vegetable laptop. Please send it to me immediately.

8. dsprimal thread starter macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

lmao! i see me and u have the same mbp configs ;) *high five* I LOVE BEING APART THE APPLE ELITES!

9. cloakedpegasus macrumors member

No damage

These things are meant to get hot. And anything as temporary as what you mentioned will be fine.

10. stevespa macrumors member

I bought this: http://www.raindesigninc.com/ilap.html

Keeps my laptop very cool while working on any surface, and it sits well on my lap for working while watching TV, etc. Converting it to desk mode actually makes the keyboard much easier to type on a desk/table (for me, anyway). It was quite expensive, but I have been using it everyday for 2 years, so I guess it was a wise choice.

11. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

12. MrZebra macrumors regular

Yes, I have that one too and I love it. So simple yet very useful.

13. 2contagious macrumors 6502a

2contagious

14. tlauer1 macrumors newbie

Ewww, gross.

15. rawd macrumors regular

Throw a cup holder and an ashtray on there, and I'll buy one

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

It's called the iPad. :D