Dummies.com Mac OS X

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by harleygold, Jan 3, 2010.

1. harleygold macrumors regular

harleygold

I'd never think to go this site, but I'm not a smart apple. Reason I bought the apple :D. But I find it interesting and helpful for some basic Snow Leopard stuff for us "dummies" :D.

Dummies.com

O! i find the maintenance checklist to be interesting. :) I haven't done half that stuff on the checklist.

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Nice find. I'm a Mac power user and still don't know everything about the system. The keyboard shortcuts help is great. I've bookmarked that site, Thanks. :)

3. Ashka macrumors 6502a

Ashka

Only looked at the Maintenance checklist ~ What a load of Rubbish.
    Obviously written by someone without a clue and by the look of it without a Mac either.

Stick to David Pogue's Missing Manual if you need info.

4. harleygold thread starter macrumors regular

harleygold

Hey your welcome! Unlike others here, I happen to like it. ;)

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Sounds like it was written by a Geek Squad employee. Defrag weekly- LOLz.

6. Corrado33 macrumors member

I agree... definitely not written by a mac fan. One of the hints is, never leave your mac without saving. While yes I never do leave my computer without saving my document, it's not a matter of operating system, I do it regardless. This person just wanted a cheap shot at macs...

7. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Sorry, but that site is way outdated and in some cases downright incorrect.

Because there are items that you don't need to do.

That is not a good checklist. Rather it looks like someone who is familiar with PCs trying to do the same with Macs. Different OS'es with different maintenance needs. Defrag the disk? Give me a break.

Definitely not bookmarking that site.

8. kolax macrumors G3

Check for viruses weekly, defrag weekly, check for latest drivers for your hardware(?!) once a month..

None of that applies to OS X!

9. alhajis macrumors member

Funny!

"Never get up from your Mac without saving your work. Just before your behind leaves the chair, your fingers should be pressing Command+S (which is the keyboard shortcut in Mac OS X Snow Leopard that saves your work). Make it a habit."

That was really Funny... I like the Site... Thanks for the tip.

10. harleygold thread starter macrumors regular

harleygold

blah, blah, blah. I will learn this all on my own. don't need more amateurs telling me something different. You either enjoy the site or you dont. I for one saw some of this info helpful. So to share that, is what this forum is about.

You don't like it, Move on. :rolleyes:

11. miketheman macrumors newbie

Does data not get fragmented in OSX?

12. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I left a response on the maintenance article, although the site appears to have broken the line breaks. I'm sure there are other useful articles there, but that is not one of them.

No. The HFS+ filesystem does not suffer fragmentation-related slowdowns unless it reaches >90% capacity, at which point you should start deleting files anyway.

Oh, and when I clicked the link I was presented with this charming message. Wishful thinking by the Dummies site, perhaps.

Attached Files:

13. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Please don't misunderstand. We like that you shared the website. That is cool.

There is some useful information. However, the website also contains incorrect information. This needs to be pointed out so that those who don't know will not use incorrect information. That's all.

Try not to take it personal. Rather, look at it as a learning experience. :)

14. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Yes, we are sharing that some things on the site you posted are incorrect. I loves to share. :D

15. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

16. jetworkr macrumors newbie

17. Mumford macrumors regular