Dummy needs help installing Windows 7 file on macbook pro

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by morgothaod, Dec 9, 2009.

1. morgothaod macrumors regular

I'm computer illiterate, so I hope 1 of you can provide me some simple instructions for installing Windows 7 on my macbook pro.

I don't have a Windows 7 CD, all I have is a file called "DLMWin7HP64US.exe." I double clicked on it and it opened up with "TextEdit." I tried running the Boot Camp application and it said I needed a Windows 7 CD.

Did I buy the wrong thing? How can I install this .exe file on my computer? I hope I didn't waste $29.99!!

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

3. morgothaod thread starter macrumors regular

Let me get this straight, I must buy a blank DVD disc (as opposed to another type like CD-R and CD-RW)?

Also there is another download that is an ISO, so all I do after I save the ISO.exe to my desktop is download Burn http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net and use it to create my install DVD. Insert blank media, click on the Copy tab and drag the ISO image I saved to desktop to the target zone?

After I have it on disc, It should install with bootcamp right?

4. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

be sure to read the manual before doing anything

When installing windows via bootcamp, be sure the read the manual. It's a fairly simple process, and part of the bootcamp app is a huge manual that takes you through it step by step. Be sure to either print it out or have it displayed on a different computer, as you won't be able to access it while doing the windows install program.

AFAIK Windows 7 is not officially supported by bootcamp, so if you have any problems, Apple is not going to help you, but I think there are plenty of people on here that have it running just fine with bootcamp.

Good luck:D

5. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

I hope you have better luck then I did. I got it to install ok, but bootcamp doesnt support win 7 64 bit. so I had numerous issues I wont even get in to > plus Im pretty comfortable downloading and updating drivers. In the end I just removed it. support for 64 bit just wicked sucks.

I may try again with a 32 bit copy. I heard the support is better.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

All correct except for the name of the file you will download. It should be something like: X15-65732/X15-65732.iso (no .exe!) from the links I provided. I believe all of the ISOs are small enough for a single layer DVD blank, but make sure the file ins't bigger than ~4.5 GB.

I agree with rusty and Acorn, stick with 32 bit unless you have a pressing need for 64 bit or Apple does something to improve the process for "the masses".

B

7. morgothaod thread starter macrumors regular

well ****, I bought the 64 one cause according to Windows, it sounded better for my 4gig RAM machine. Sigh!

this is the name of the iso file that I was given "DLMWin7HP64US-ISO.exe"

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

That's OK 64 bit will probably work, but 32 would have been easier.

The file you've got is a packed file that you would need a pre-existing Windows install to unpack. Try this direct link from the article i linked to above: http://msft-dnl.digitalrivercontent.net/msvista/pub/X15-65733/X15-65733.iso

It's a 3 GB file that should end up with a .ISO extension.

B

9. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

I downloaded the student edition of Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit, and installed it on my early 2008 MBP. I had no problems at all and it works great. I don't know how everyone is having issues with it on their mac but I haven't had any issues. The biggest issue was downloading the iso but I booted in to Windows XP and downloaded it from there. You should have no problems using 64-bit Windows 7.

10. Kristine macrumors 6502a

If you bought the student one, you can use your 64 bit key on a 32 bit Windows install.

11. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

There are some significant issues with some Macs that have 32 bit only EFI and don't want to boot the 64 bit installer properly. For these boxes, especially the install ISO needs to be modified slightly, an operation that would be beyond morgothaod. In some cases also the Boot Camp driver installer refuses to install and you have to trick it into thinking it's on Vista 64 or even install some of the drivers manually. Also something that might be harder for someone who describes themselves as computer-illiterate.

FWIW I have W764 Ultimate running happily on my 2009 MBP, so it definitely can work. The KB driver seems to have stopped working at some point so I may have to do some debugging there...

Good to know.

B

12. morgothaod thread starter macrumors regular

I'm downloading http://msft-dnl.digitalrivercontent..../X15-65733.iso. So I basically just paid for a CD key because the files I gave you are only upgrades if I already had a version of Windows on my computer?

I don't need to use the 2 .exe files that I mentioned earlier?

13. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Correct on all counts.

Note that you are downloading the 64 bit version. If you wanted to use your key with the 32 bit version as Kristine suggested you wanted one of the other links.

B

14. morgothaod thread starter macrumors regular

I just want to play 3 games on my mac. "Soldiers of Fortune 2: Double Helix Multiplayer demo," "Magic the Gathering Online," and "Mafia." So the 32 bit version would be best for me?

I can't find the 32 bit version. One guy said the link for the "32 bit" version, turned out to be the 64 bit version.

15. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Try the links here then:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/...links-ultimate-professional-and-home-premium/

EDIT: I'm downloading the 32 bit home premium as we speak and will make sure it is the right thing and post back.

EDIT: Confirmed X15-65732.iso is the 32 bit version of Home Premium.

B

16. Kristine macrumors 6502a

If you are just wanting to play games, the 32 bit version is fine.

17. dvin macrumors member

i installed the 64 version of W7 on my MBP and it works just fine. i just followed the bootcamp assistant instructions and have had zero problems. i know Apple hasn't officially started supporting W7, but like i said no problems here.

18. morgothaod thread starter macrumors regular

Hi everyone,

I appreciate all of the help. I put the 64 bit .iso in the trash and I'm downloading the 32 bit. I bought a DVD-RW yesterday too.

Will this .iso give me Windows 7, even though I don't have Windows on my computer? (I don't know what an .iso is)

From my understanding, the $29.99 Windows 7 that I bought was an upgrade for those with a previous version of Windows (Which I failed to realize prior to buying it).

After the file is downloaded, I will download Burn http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net and use it to create my install DVD.

I've printed out the Bootcamp instructions and I'll try to follow them even though they talk about a different version of Windows. I saw some online instructions for Bootcamp and Windows 7 (which had pictures), so I'll probably use that instead.

If what I'm downloading, will give me Windows 7 (and is not just an upgrade from a previous version of Windows to Win7), I'll keep you guys updated on my progress.

I really want to play some of my favorite older games on my Mac :).

Edit: I downloaded the file and I noticed this on my desktop: What do I do with the GRMCHPFRER_EN_DVD?

Attached Files:

19. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Nothing. The ISO file is a disk image. Mac OS is able to mount that as if it was a real DVD, and that is what you are seeing in that extra icon. You can drag it to the trash to eject it.

In order to get Windows on your machine, you need to use Burn to copy the disk image to the DVD, and then use that DVD when prompted to by the Boot Camp Assistant.

What you bought was the product key. What you originally downloaded was the upgrade installer, what you downloaded now is the image of a full installer DVD.

B

20. morgothaod thread starter macrumors regular

Bad news...

The Product Key that I entered did not work (So what I did was leave it blank and hit continue). Now my computer only starts up in Windows. I'm not even able to eject the DVD that I made. I don't know what to do. I wish I can start over with the 64 bit iso.

This is very frustrating!

Edit: Nevermind, I got back to Mac OS X by holding down the option key.

Edit: I deleted the Windows partition and I figured out how to eject the disc. I tried to burn over the 32 bit version but it says "One of the volumes on the disc is still in use."

Edit: It is now letting me go over the DVD. I'm now burning the 64 bit version on it (X15-65733.iso).

I will try to install Windows 7 again on Monday.

21. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

You need to unmount the DVD before you erase or overwrite it. Too bad the key you bought didn't work with the 32 bit ISO

B

22. morgothaod thread starter macrumors regular

I didn't select "unmount," when I selected "burn" it worked. I don't know why I got the error message the first time, but after I tried again I got a screen showing how long it will take to burn the disc (approx. 9 min). I think I burned the 64 bit on the DVD because the installation seemed to take longer than the 32 bit. When I got to the Product key, it still didn't work.

I'll erase the partition again and select "unmount." Hopefully then the product key will work...

23. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

If you are having this much trouble installing it, either get a friend to help- or
    go to a local computer repair shop and ask for some help. Offer to pay for
    their time, and explain that you have a valid key and ISO install DVD. They
    will probably charge you 10 to 20 bucks. Easy money for the techie. I would
    go start the install myself if I was doing it and go take a dump or something
    and come back.

Seriously though. Don't put yourself through this much grief. It's not hard,
    but it isn't something someone as illiterate with macs should be attempting.
    There are plenty of tutorial out there,
    http://www.simplehelp.net/2009/01/1...ndows-7-on-your-mac-the-complete-walkthrough/

That is a good one. Just burn your ISO first and then follow the tutorial.
    If you can't get it right after 3 tries, dude just go find someone and pay them.

24. morgothaod thread starter macrumors regular

I'm attempting my 3rd try. Hopefully it will work. Jason, I was following those instructions. I get what to do... its just that the CD key is not working.

Edit: CD key not working. I guess I'll try to get a refund. I doubt they will give me it because I made a mistake.

Update: I left the product key blank and my product key worked when I went to start--> computer--> properties--> activate my windows

Update: I installed "Mafia" but it won't play. I get an error message: "Init error 4205 generic..." SIGH! Also the sound doesn't work. I'm stuck on step #17 here http://www.simplehelp.net/2009/01/1...ndows-7-on-your-mac-the-complete-walkthrough/ in that window, I see speakers but when I do the playback, I hear nothing. I also don't know what to do to make the computer ask for my MAC OS X disc (Step #18). Also, when I plug in my mouse, it doesn't work.

Update: It won't let me play "Soldiers of Fortune 2: Double Helix multiplayer demo" either....

SOF2MP V1.02t win-x86 Apr 5 2002
    Initialising zone memory .....
    ----- FS_Startup -----
    Current search path:
    C:\PROGRA~2\SOLDIE~1/base/MP
    C:\PROGRA~2\SOLDIE~1/base

----------------------
    0 files in pk3 files

Running in restricted demo mode.

----- FS_Startup -----
    Current search path:
    C:\PROGRA~2\SOLDIE~1/demo/MP
    C:\PROGRA~2\SOLDIE~1\demo\assets.pk3 (1703 files)
    C:\PROGRA~2\SOLDIE~1/demo

----------------------
    1703 files in pk3 files
    execing sof2mp_default.cfg
    couldn't exec sof2mp.cfg
    couldn't exec autoexec.cfg
    Hunk_Clear: reset the hunk ok
    CPU Detected: Pentium III / Xeon (model 7)
    Pentium III / Xeon (model 7)

---------- Input Initialization ----------
    Skipping check for DirectInput
    Joystick is not active.
    ------------------------------------------
    ----- Client Initialization -----
    ----- Initializing Renderer ----
    -------------------------------
    ----- Client Initialization Complete -----
    ----- R_Init -----
    WARNING: tess.xyz not 16 byte aligned
    Initializing OpenGL subsystem
    ...initializing QGL
    ...calling LoadLibrary( 'C:\Windows\system32\opengl32.dll' ): succeeded
    ...setting mode 3: 640 480 FS
    ...using desktop display depth of 32
    ...calling CDS: ok
    ...registered window class
    ...created window@0,0 (640x480)
    Initializing OpenGL driver
    ...getting DC: succeeded
    ...GLW_ChoosePFD( 32, 24, 8 )
    ...35 PFDs found
    ...GLW_ChoosePFD failed
    ...GLW_ChoosePFD( 32, 24, 0 )
    ...35 PFDs found
    ...GLW_ChoosePFD failed
    ...failed to find an appropriate PIXELFORMAT
    ...restoring display settings
    ...WARNING: could not set the given mode (3)
    ...setting mode 3: 640 480 FS
    ...using colorsbits of 16
    ...calling CDS: ok
    ...created window@0,0 (640x480)
    Initializing OpenGL driver
    ...getting DC: succeeded
    ...GLW_ChoosePFD( 16, 16, 0 )
    ...35 PFDs found
    ...GLW_ChoosePFD failed
    ...GLW_ChoosePFD( 16, 16, 0 )
    ...35 PFDs found
    ...GLW_ChoosePFD failed
    ...failed to find an appropriate PIXELFORMAT
    ...restoring display settings
    ...WARNING: could not set the given mode (3)
    ...shutting down QGL
    ...unloading OpenGL DLL
    ...assuming '3dfxvgl' is a standalone driver
    ...initializing QGL
    ...WARNING: missing Glide installation, assuming no 3Dfx available
    ...shutting down QGL
    ----- CL_Shutdown -----
    RE_Shutdown( 1 )
    R_Terrain: Shutting down RENDERER terrain.....
    -----------------------
    GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL subsystem

25. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Your Mac came with a DVD for the OS(Usually gray and labeled something Like Mac OS Install Disc 1), or you bought a Snow Leopard upgrade DVD. This disc has all the drivers on it for the hardware, without it you won't get sound, the video driver will be generic (i.e. poor performance), ...

While booted to Windows, insert the disc and let Autorun do its thing.

B