Dummy plug for headphone port?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by gotzero, Aug 23, 2009.

1. gotzero macrumors 68040

Looking at my old 3G, it appears that somehow the water sensor in my headphone port is no longer a bright white. The phone works fine and it has never been dropped in water, I just figure that it got hit with a rain drop or drop of sweat since in is exposed whenever I am on the phone.

I would not like to have any more BS warranty issues from Apple, so I was wondering if there is any kind of dummy plug available for the headphone port? Anyone know of anything? A few searches later, I have only found items for the original iPhone.

2. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Well, since the iPhone's headphone jack is a standard 1/8" jack, I suppose any plug designed for the original would work for the 3G/3GS.

3. RiceRacerDX macrumors 6502

4. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

This eBay seller offers a dock connector cap and headphone jack cap package:

Doc Cap and Headphone Jack Cover

The headphone jack plug has an integrated SIM removal tool. Pretty neat, though I'd never remember it or be able to find it when I needed it.

5. gotzero thread starter macrumors 68040

Thanks everyone! Exactly what is was looking for. I kept finding the dock ones, but nothing for headphones.

6. kAoTiX macrumors 6502

kAoTiX

Wow what an amazing idea. I had always thought it to be strange that Apple would put a water sensor in the headphone socket which was facing up, exposed to rain. Do they expect you to not use your phone in any kind of light rain? Obviously I wouldn't use it in heavy rain but it's not always possible to get under cover to answer an important phone call.

I personally think they should have those sockets sealed so even if water did get in, it wouldn't penetrate into the rest of the phone. Dare I say waterproof iPhone!?

7. con500 macrumors regular

Heres another...same as the above but a heck of a lot cheaper. Worked out around 65 pence (uk) and does a fantastic job.
    mine came in black tho the pic displays transparent

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15259

Oh and its FREE shipping

8. fredf macrumors 6502

I just got mine yesterday. Although advertised for the 3G, it doesn't fit my 3GS . The one I got isn't anywhere near fitting my phone.

Even thought this poster did well, many of us got a piece of junk. Cheap, so I'm not out much money. But useless nevertheless.

9. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

10. Switz213 macrumors 6502

11. LEGALROMA macrumors member

12. LEGALROMA macrumors member

13. niksoo macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I have dummy plugs for the headphone, and for the charger/sync area.
    I can sell a set of 6, 2 headphone plugs, and 4 charger plugs for $5.00.
    Considering that they are selling each one for $10 on radtech and elsewhere this is pretty cheap.

Shoot me an email here or on e.quake@yahoo.com

Thanks.

14. ebelle macrumors newbie

could consider getting the whole set for cheap at www.topicovers.com

they have the dummy headphone port one as well as the charger pod one.

15. OMGitsShan macrumors regular

Wow what a brilliant idea! Are there any headphone covers for the iPhone 4 specifically? I noticed the 3G/3GS ones above are slightly curved on one side which means they will look odd (ie not flush) on an iPhone 4.

16. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

With a case/bumper you won't see it. The plug I bought has such thin material for the top "flare" that to me it appears flat unless you look very closely.