Dump Question: Changing Icons

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sOwL, Aug 23, 2008.

1. sOwL macrumors 6502

sOwL

How can i change the icons for my files? I know i can copy an icon from another file and put it to another, but what happens if i got a .icns file or any other image and i want to use that? Tried to open it, then select the icon from the preview and then pasted it to the file icon, but this way sucks because the icon is no longer transparent (white or black background, imagine how that looks on dock)

2. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

You can use Candybar or Litelcon to change the look of your icons. The Apple download section has hundreds of icons you can download and let the above apps change them for you. Good luck.

3. sOwL thread starter macrumors 6502

sOwL

oh i didnt know i could use candybar to change any file's icon with an icon file i wanted. thnx for the tip :p

4. janitorC7 macrumors 6502a

janitorC7

First, let me point out that the only dumb thing about your question, is that you spelled it dump..... :p

but, to answer your question, if you right click, and go to get info, you can copy and paste to an icon, by clicking on it, in the upper left hand of the get info screen, just paste the new icon over that, and to go back to the original, just click on the icon, in the get info box, and hit delete.