Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dimme

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
I have been a VMware user for many years and have been very happy with the product. But I don't like the fact they dumped their team and moved the development to China. I thinking about switching to parallels before the end of the month to take advantage of the free windows 10 upgrade for my VM. I have windows 10 running in VMware but nor sure how well it will work if I convert it to parallels down the road. I would rather wait until I have to switch but don't want to shell out the money in the future to buy windows 10.

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
If you're thinking about Parallels to use in Seira you should wait until its release because you will have to buy an upgrade to use it.

Parallels charges upgrades every time the OS X is upgraded each year.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
But I don't like the fact they dumped their team
I agree as someone who works in the IT sector, I choose not help companies that move US jobs off shore

FWIW, Parallels' software engineering team is in Russia, not the US.
I think for me, its the decision to lay off US workers, and not where the software originated. Parallels was always produced in Russia, but how and what Vmware did, was not cool - at least in my book and I'll not be using them in the future.

Reactions: campyguy

bgd

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2005
SG
By all means make a stand, but frankly I go with the product that suits me best. Outsourcing to cheaper locations is just a fact of life these days.

I use Fusion and haven't tried Parallels. Fusion is ok but I also use VMware Workstation (I think that's what it's called) on Linux and that is a much better experience, more stable and quicker. That, coupled with someone I know who works for VMware describing Fusion as 'crap', makes me wonder whether parallels might be worth a try.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Outsourcing to cheaper locations is just a fact of life these days.
It is, but that doesn't mean I want to send my hard earned money over to a company that doesn't value its domestic employees to highly. Both vmware and Parallels are very good applications. Vmware does some things better then Parallels, and Parallels does other things better then Vmware. I don't think you can go wrong with either app

Metalgator

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2016
The one thing I like about VMware is you can use it on more than one Mac if it's for personal use. Both my wife and I have Macbook Pro laptops and I also have a Mac mini. I would cost me 3 times as much to run Parallels. I purchased Parallels last year and they just tried to get me to renew for about $90. I got a 7 day countdown when I opened Windows 10 on my Mac and said I would have to renew or Parallels would quit working. I didn't realize that Parallels was a subscription service. I thought you just had to purchase the new version if you wanted to upgrade to the newest OS X release but you could keep using the old version as long as you wanted. I guess that is not the case.

dimme

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
I am getting tired of the yearly update also. I do not use windows that much any more. What I decided is to setup up a 2010 HP PC I have laying around run it headless, upgrade windows 7 to windows 10. I got a used SSD off of eBay. I can access it on my iMac or Macbook Pro via VNC software.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.