Dumped iPad 'cause of apps

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by st1ngo, Nov 20, 2010.

1. st1ngo macrumors member

Just sold my ipad due to being fed up of buying aps that are only really meant for iphone
    Sure you can hit x2 to increase size but then you get crap res
    I did not pay £500 to look at crap res !
    Cya ipad !!

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

There are many iPad specific apps available that make the iPad quite useful to me. And many apps are available for both. I rarely use any apps that are iPhone apps.

Perhaps your needs differed and the iPad was not for you.

3. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

I think the iPad app store is an embarrasment... nothing great in there. I think I have 2 "useful" apps and 1 or 2 decent games and thats about it.

Wish i just got the 16GB instead of the 32GB... and IOS is getting abit boring now... needs some new and exciting features.... multitasking and folders are not new and exciting... they are long delayed and should already have been part of the OS from the beginning.

Edit : That being said... I do love it for browsing and watching videos though, nothing can beat lying in bed browsing on the ipad or watching a movie.

4. kevingaffney macrumors 6502a

Amazing how tastes differ.
    Have iPad since launch here in Ireland and still finding really good apps. Just bought JFK and rage HD.. Two very different apps for a fifty year old but great entertainment. Suppose it's impossible to please everyone

5. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

I'm 21 and a Video Games artist. I guess I am just picky perhaps because I am an artist.. not sure. I have had my iPad since launch too... and the app store just doesnt seem to have that much new stuff in it that are relevent for me... I have like I said maybe 2 apps that are useful and those are the BBC news app and Twitterific if I was to chose a 3rd probably autodesk sketchbook pro. As for games im not really into the whole rail shooter thing so Rage HD looks good... but the game play just doesnt really bother me.

For games I think the 2 that I have that are the best for iPad is Worms HD and Angry Birds. If I had to choose a 3rd I would pick Fieldrunners. All the rest arnt that entertaining to me.

On the other hand My iPhone is filled with loads of cool apps and games... I just think the iPad really needs to have games that really make use of the bigger screen. So far is mostly just "HD" larger scaled games.

I have a really cool game idea that I was trying to develope while in Uni (but uni work just has you tied up) only problem with it is.. I do not know how to code.. so I couldnt take it any further than art and sound

6. Hermes Monster macrumors 6502a

Hermes Monster

I love the iPad, but I have to agree the app choice and the store itself are poor currently. I think the issue is that it needs to time to get further established. The iPhone app store didn't have that many apps to begin with, now it has hundreds of thousands.

I personally didn't buy it for the apps, it was to replace my laptop as a web browser essentially, I have the iMac for serious stuff.

Having said that, iDraw is a brilliant vector app tool, scrabble is great on road trips and it's great for watching movies on - UP looks amazing on it :D

7. Stirolak123, Nov 21, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2010

Stirolak123 macrumors 6502

In terms of games it's kinda true. How many games get released constantly with no native support or an ipad version? Look at the toucharcade iPhone release section and compare it to the ipads. Heck how many ipad games like plants vs zombies, flight control, or crayon physics get released built entirely from the ground up for the iPad and its larger screen without taking the iphone into consideration? I mean ipad gamers have way better battery life and a screen they don't have to strain their eye to so they should be rewarded with console like experiences and more in depth games. ESP since the iPad costs more and so do the apps on the app store.

The only recent exclusive ipad games or games built from the ground up or it is the 4x distant star and that robokilldual stick shooter.

8. steezy1337 macrumors 6502

i think it's probably something to do with the fact that the iPad has only really been out for 6 months or so, compared to the iPhone with it's 2/3 years to build up a big library of apps.

The amount of discussion on here about what people do and don't do with their iPad's just shows how some people still don't really have that niche that it can fill for them due to lack of apps, but this is probably true for developers in that they can't think of apps that can fill these niches in a way that will really make people say WOW.

For me i have a couple of most used apps that have made the iPad worthwhile for me but i'd say it still is a bit of a novelty device for me until people start pushing the boundaries on what it can do.

9. Stirolak123 macrumors 6502

Here is an idea, port or make infinity engine RPGs like baldurs gate which would be perfect with the large screen estate to control a party of characters. Or make complex games requiring thinking not cheap casual crap. Or a real time strategy game not ported from the iPhone and one with online play and mods like star craft.

10. Maurier macrumors regular

If you are into music I strongly recommend Korg iMS 20, Korg iELECTRIBE and Music Studio by Alexander Gross they are fantastic apps.
    If I didn't own an ipad I would just purchase one for this apps alone.
    Lately I have been messing around with iDesign an app for technical designs. Takes a little getting used to it but it's great for designing cars.
    Games wise I play legend =) IMHO a very underrated game. If you enjoy rpg's like wow, daoc etc.... you will love legend for the ipad.
    Last but not least let's not forget Netflix which again IMHO totally rocks on the ipad :p
    I think apps like MS20, Rebirth etc... really show things to come for the ipad.

11. Stirolak123 macrumors 6502

Yea netflix, and iBooks rock on it. But gaming is seriously behind still.

12. Maurier macrumors regular

I would love to see Age of Empires on the ipad=)

13. okrelayer macrumors 6502a

interestingly my love for the iPad has grown since buying it at launch BECAUSE of the apps. The mainstays are Reeder, Twitter for iPad, iCab, Pandora,Weather Bug, standard stuff that you could do on any iPhone or computer, but made to better fit the iPad screen.

But apps like USA TODAY, iBooks, Kindle, Pulse Reader, Comic Zeal,Ted, show the very practical uses of this device. Because while Book stores are on the iPhone, its definitely not most ideal to read on it.

But where this app is really showing its promise are apps like Flipboard which re-imagine the whole magazine/internet browsing methods. Special mention is for the music apps. Good lord. The iPhone was FUN to mess around with music apps, the iPad makes it a totally function and useful music instrument.

Morphwiz: The Continuum ported over to the iPad
    minisynth PRO: Synths galore!
    iMS- 20- Korgs MS- 20 ported over to the iPad
    iElectribe- Electribe•R on iPad!
    Pocket Organ- a hammond organ in your backpack!

I have a friend that uses his iPad for space, and science apps. My other friend uses it for his daily newspapers. Everyone that has an iPad will find their niche with the device. If its not for you, its not for you. But its definitely lived up and more in my life.

14. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

I'd love to see an Evony-style MMO RTS game for the iPad. Not Evony itself as I find that game tedious and boring after you reach a certain level of expertise. But something similar. Talk about feeding the addiction; a portable version would rock!

15. drewc1138 macrumors 6502

I can't tell you how much time I've spent on Galaxy on Fire II. Actually, I can. 6:38.

16. Stirolak123 macrumors 6502

6 and a half minutes? Lol.

17. MacBH928 macrumors 68020

MacBH928

the ipad is only like 7 months old,
    the iphone is like 3 years old

so give it a break,looking for a bright future

18. pagansoul macrumors 65816

pagansoul

I've have not given my iPad a rest since I got it, which was day 1 for the 3G. I know many people have come to the conclusion that all they needed was the 16GB version but I am a 64GB person and would have purchased a 120 if they made one. I have a Kindle but still use my Pad to read both straight text and my graphic novels/comic books.

The APPs I use most are iBooks (EPUB), Kindle (MOBI), Goodreader (PDF) and ARCreader (CBR). I also have several magazine APPs. LIFE, MacLife, iPhone Life, National Geo, SciFi Now and for Library books there is Bluefire Reader.

For music I tend to use my own collection or Pandora. For news I have the usual suspects, NYTimes, USAToday, NPR, Ars Technica, BBC, ABC, CBS and also Pulse and Flipboard but find myself with Early Edition and AppAdvice more often than not. For playing instruments (my largest collection of APPs) I have narrowed it down to the company Smule (I have all their APPs) and Bebot. I'll put more back on when I set up my folders.

I'm not a big gaming person so I don't spend much on them. I have a few but only buy if they go on sale. I like Spore but only really play Solitaire and Sudoku. When I'm with family we play Life :p but not one of my favorites.

For Utilities I use Dropbox, Urbanspoon, Wiki Encyclopedia, ebay. I use Netflix almost every night and started using FilmOn Player.

What I am currently playing with - Corel 'Paint it! Show' (this is a hoot, converts photos into paintings)

19. tmarks11 macrumors 6502

Try carcassonne. It is a great "card type" games that I suspect will be right up your alley. Now available as a universal app. Can't wait until they add"rivers" cards.

20. LegendKillerUK macrumors 6502

I agree to a point that the apps currently available for the iPad aren't that inspiring. Surprisingly, both on my iPad and iPod Touch I'm becoming more receptive to the games on offer. Loving Beyond Ynth and Labyrinth 2 at the moment. Tapbots' Calcbot also has a fantastic UI and probably the best calculator on the iPad. :)

21. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

I do computer repair, I bought the 16 GB (actually my GF bought it for me) wifi version of the iPad, and I got a Clear wireless router / modem that I can carry in my pocket to have constant internet at 4G speeds. I love it.

I take it to clients, I'm able to use internet that doesn't completely suck, search for answers, use TeamViewer, access their networks, routers, and other hardware. SSH into other machines, I read my tech news with Mashable and Flud, Stream my own video content with air video (awesome app by the way), watch Netflix wherever I am, and read on iBooks! I have a few games, but I didn't really purchase it for that reason.

I use it for email, web surfing, checking the weather, blogging with the WordPress app is up soon, and I just keep finding more and more uses for it. I'm sure it will grow even more over the next year, and particularly with the next rev. I do agree that I'd like to see iOS grow a bit, and become more customizable honestly.